• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping out to Led's?

194's for gauge general illumination and the floor shifters.
74's for all the indicator lights and (AC control illumination - still not verified just what my FSM shows).

194's for gauge general illumination and the floor shifters.
74's for all the indicator lights and (AC control illumination - still not verified just what my FSM shows).

Ok, Thanks! I watched a youtube vid where the guy said there were 74's in the dash so I guess I'll just buy enough of each and figure it out.

Depending on your vehicle build, but there are 5 illumination lamps and a possibility of 17 indicator lamps.

On the bright side, I've been testing all the lamps and then as I started on the tiny 74's, I did a couple when I noticed they are factory marked for polarity! :clap:

I bought these, I haven't verified that they are dimmable, I haven't done that yet. When I get up enough courage, in the mean time I'm working on the front lamps. It's all safety to me, because of my stroke I have a hard time getting in my Jeep during daylight hours. So night time I want to "see" and "be seen".
https://www.amazon.com/YITAMOTOR-3-SMD-Instrument-Panel-Cluster/dp/B018LUL2WK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=211KNQ13A4XE9&dchild=1&keywords=74+led+bulb&qid=1602713412&sprefix=74+%2Caps%2C243&sr=8-4

I bought these, I haven't verified that they are dimmable, I haven't done that yet. When I get up enough courage, in the mean time I'm working on the front lamps. It's all safety to me, because of my stroke I have a hard time getting in my Jeep during daylight hours. So night time I want to "see" and "be seen".
https://www.amazon.com/YITAMOTOR-3-SMD-Instrument-Panel-Cluster/dp/B018LUL2WK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=211KNQ13A4XE9&dchild=1&keywords=74+led+bulb&qid=1602713412&sprefix=74+%2Caps%2C243&sr=8-4

Thanks for the link, and sorry to hear about the stroke :( I'm probably going to just order a couple different types and see for myself. I have a week follow up appt tomorrow from the second eye surgery (had scarring removed from both corneas in the past 1.5 months -been living with it for 10 years) so it will be a while before I'm actually tearing stuff apart and replacing. It's something I've wanted to do for quite a while and now that I'm getting some clarity back to my vision it's something I've decided to do since I'll actually be able to drive at night and low light again once the eyes have healed.

Got the front lighting done yesterday and developed "tweeker blinker". My new flasher won't be here until tomorrow so I may pick one up locally today. If everything continues to work I will do the same for "Lil Sis", my other 2000. I also ordered a "trailer adapter" for "Lil Sis" as I took the hitch off "Big Brother".

So you are doing the blinkers too?
The 194's in the side markers?
Be careful. You might think they work but might not.
Make sure you check them with headlights on and headlights off.
Cause I suspect you might have this problem.

So putting it in one way resulted in this:
Would go on with headlights.
Would blink when using the turn signals when the headlights were on.
Would not blink when using the turn signals with the headlights off.

Putting the bulb in the other way resulted in this:
Would not light up when you turned on the headlights.
Would blink when you used the turn signals with the headlights off.
Would not blink when you used the turn signals with the headlights on.

I can see where that might be a issue, there is a connection between the side marker and the headlights. I'll give it a try and go from there.

So in 194's in the side markers only? I appreciate any experience you have with doing this!

Well the couple write ups I have done I like to show pictures.
I try to be thorough. Operative word being try.
Explain everything best I can.
Show links to the specific stuff I used.

I noticed the Sylvania Zevo bulb links at Advance are dead.
But those are everywhere making them easy to find.

That is the thing about some peoples write ups.
Come up with awesome ideas but a lot of the specifics are lacking.
While I think it might be something I want to do just not enough info for me to duplicate it.
Some people don't even include links. When you ask them they just say they don't remember and is something they bought off of Amazon, Ebay, etc.
Which I think is funny. Because they can go back in their purchase history and see exactly what they bought.
Cause my thinking is you used these specific parts and were happy with the outcome.
So I want to use what you used. Not that I might make a change or substitute another part here and there but........

Well I tried it tonight with the new flasher and 194 incandescent lamps in the side markers. It went off like a Christmas tree with it "back feeding" thru all the different bulbs. I will look at it again tomorrow to see if the front 3157's have any change with reversing the polarity.

Back