• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hjeepxj's build thread

SO - I've been driving it around the last couple of days.

It handles AWESOME for an XJ on 35's, significantly better than my old one on 33's. I spent quite a bit of coin on the suspension and steering, but I'm super happy with it for on road purposes. I have yet to take it on the highway as the front swaybar still needs to be reworked. I honestly don't think it would be too bad all things considered but I'm not going to risk it as it's not my DD anyway.

The speedo is way off, what's the best way to address this?

The next bump in the road I ran in to is it's overheating - common issue lol. I am most likely going with a Hesco high volume water pump, a Ron Davis radiator and Napier hood vents.

Time is very hard for me to come by and I'm recovering from a hernia surgery so I'm not sure if I'm going to do it myself or just hire it out.
I have the flowkooler high flow water pump and hesco high flow thermostat and they do awesome. Fixed my cooling issues. I also have the napier hood vents but that's more for heat soak. But cheap investment and I think it's worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Holy crap this thing still exists!
I'd find one of the speedo gear charts and see if you find something close to what you need. Idk if you can still get one of the old speedo calibration modules?

If there's one thing I am, it's stubborn. :D Thanks for the tip on the speedo, I'll start there. :cheers:

I have the flowkooler high flow water pump and hesco high flow thermostat and they do awesome. Fixed my cooling issues. I also have the napier hood vents but that's more for heat soak. But cheap investment and I think it's worth it.

Sweet, I'm going to do that tstat housing as well, their prices are very reasonable!!!

This freakin Ron Davis radiator on the other hand. :rof::laugh:

Ya it's worth it!!! I have 35s and dd mine and I can't complain. I'm still running stock rad. I just flushed my system very thoroughly and seems to be fine.

Ya it's worth it!!! I have 35s and dd mine and I can't complain. I'm still running stock rad. I just flushed my system very thoroughly and seems to be fine.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Time is very hard for me to come by and I'm recovering from a hernia surgery so I'm not sure if I'm going to do it myself or just hire it out.
BEHAVE YOURSELF, or have a "do-over!" :cheers:

BEHAVE YOURSELF, or have a "do-over!" :cheers:

Before this, I would have had no idea what you meant. :laugh:

It's SO HARD to behave myself, it's not my style to do that! :guitar::laugh2::tears:

Ordered the Ron Davis radiator (whew, spendy, worth it however from what I heard), the Hesco water pump and the Hesco thermostat housing with 195* thermostat.

:guitar:

When I had my turn, this tiny Oc-Doc told me "I've been to your work place, I know what you do: I'm giving you 2 extra weeks recovery before you go back to light duty."

OK Doc, I don't want to do this again!

When I had my turn, this tiny Oc-Doc told me "I've been to your work place, I know what you do: I'm giving you 2 extra weeks recovery before you go back to light duty."

OK Doc, I don't want to do this again!

:puke: :cheers:

I plan on doing more write ups on stuffs in the future, but here's a current build list of stuff that's done.

Engine

Northstar Battery
JCR Battery tray
Ron Davis radiator
Hesco high volume water pump

Front Axle

HP D30
4.88 Gears
30 Spline Alloy Shafts
Nitro u joints
ARB locker
Artec truss
Artec inner c gussets
Stinky Fab trackbar bracket
Stinky Fab coil braces
Hooligan LCA brackets
XJ hubs
Moog ball joints
WJ knuckles
Akenobo calipers
IRO rotors
Top secret paint

Steering

Stinky Fab WJ 1 ton steering OTK
Hooligan inner steering box brace
Drop pitman arm

Front Suspension

5.5" Deaver coils
TNT long arms
Stinky Fab track bar
Stinky Fab track bar mount
Bilstein 5100's
Stainless brake lines

Rear Axle

XJ D44
4.88 gears
35 spline alloy shafts
ARB
Wilwood disc brake kit
TNT ubolt elimnator spring perches
TNT raised shock mounts
Iron Rock truss
Stainless brake lines
Top Secret Coatings paint

Rear Suspension

4" Deaver leafs
1" JKS shackle
Liquid iron shackle relocation kit
Bilstein 5100's
Stainless brake lines

Wheels/Tires

35" Kevlar MTR's

Armor

Hooligan front stiffeners
Hooligan mid stiffeners
Hooligan rear stiffeners
Trail Ready front bumper
JCR rear bumper
Hooligan fenders F/R

Misc

Hooligan door hinge supports R/L
Highbeam Offroad headlights
Smoked corners
Carhartt seat covers
Hooligan fuel tank skid

Planned modifications I already have, I just need to make time to get installed:

JCR rear quarter guards
AJ's rock rails
ARB dual compressor
7 switch panel (where cigarette lighter is)
Relocate 12v USB power to center console
JCR center console bracket
Coat interior w/top secret paint
Dynamat interior
D&C cage
Boostwerks tcase linkage
Rocklights
TNT tcase skid
Replace rockers with 2x4 and tie in to cage and frame stiffeners
JCR steel tail lights

Planned modifications I need to procure:

Rear cube lights
Front PIAA lights
Light bar
Roofrack
Flop shop rotopax windows both sides

Someday modifications:

Custom double DIN touch screen [CLEANLY INSTALLEDLOL]
4.7 stroker w/edelbrock head, and, if I can make it work a super charger
Rebuilt/upgraded AW4 transmission
Atlas II 4.3

Last edited:
Hjeep,
You have the inner part of the Hooligan front frame stiffeners on there? If so do you remember or have pics of how far back they went. Or how far past the back of the steering box?
Or anybody else have pics of them installed? Need to order some front stiffies soon to reinforce some repairs up there and I'm down to choosing between Hooligan or T&M. Don't have the time or motivation to make up plates myself.

Last edited:
Nevermind, but thank you anyway. I finally found a pic of the inner plates installed.

Sorry for my delay! I don't have pics so I'm glad you found some. The inner ones, if I remember right, go in fairly far.

That inner reinforcement plate is super hard to install.

UPDATE: I had to turn it over to Hooligan Offroad to resolve the issue with the sway bar links interfering. I will get pics of it tomorrow, hopefully but basically on the passenger side, Josh @ Hooligan made a custom mount far enough up to clear all of the steering then braced it. He then was forced to modify my JKS quick disco (shortened it A LOT).

If that's the only SNAFU I have on what I did last summer, I'm satisfied.

Hopefully tomorrow I can paint the work that was done at Hooligan, install my JCR battery tray, and reassemble some of the interior so it's a little more driveable. I also feel like I need to add some washers to my steering box bolts as for some reason when I was putting it back together I neglected to put some in.

Attempting to get some wheeling done this season.

29084301497_43df19c755_o.jpg

Updated pic, got it mostly drivable, need to re-affix the sway bar and add some washers to the steering box.

I also need to install my Ron Davis radiator and Hesco water pump.

Up next after that: AJ's rock sliders and TNT Tcase skid.

Jeep is coming along nicely, hopefully I'll catch you on the trail sometime soon.

Jeep is coming along nicely, hopefully I'll catch you on the trail sometime soon.

Thank you!! Yours is looking good too!

I am hoping to get it out at least a couple of times this season.

Is hooligan still around?
They have a few parts I wanted but never get any replies to emails.... haven’t tried calling though.
Beautiful Jeep btw, I dig it!

Is hooligan still around?
They have a few parts I wanted but never get any replies to emails.... haven’t tried calling though.
Beautiful Jeep btw, I dig it!

Thank you!!

Hooligan is still very much around. That's weird you don't get emails back, Josh has always been communicative with me.

If you call the number on their website I am fairly sure that's his cell.

Back