• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSF Noobfest Camp Out: 6/2 - 6/3

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
It's that time of year again to get folks out on the trail, and ready for some summer wheeling. This will be the NWC's 3rd annual TSF Noobfest event.

Who:
Obviously this run will be geared more toward beginners. Anyone is welcome to participate member or not, uni-body or not.
What:
The only vehicle requirement for this run is four wheel drive. Don't worry about CB's, lockers, or tire size. If you've been itching to get out on the trail, bring what you got.
When: Saturday June 2nd will be the official "Noob" aka beginner run. We'll meet at the Rogers Camp day use area at 0900 for a drivers meeting.
Where: This will be taking place at the Tillamook State Forest. You can top off your tanks and pick up an ORV permit at the Gales Creek Shell. Continue up Hwy 6 for another ~7 miles until you see the turnoff for Browns Camp on the left. Hang a left at the T and follow the road into Rogers Camp.

Game plan: Here's the tentative game plan for the day.
-Drivers meeting at 0900 at Rogers Camp. We'll split into groups if it's needed, and do a quick run over Wheeling 101 (tire pressure, sway bar, what to carry, trail ettiquette, etc).
- Head for the trails. We'll start off with a few sections of Powerline to let everyone get a feel for their rig.
- Depending on time/vehicles we may stop at Mini Rubicon for a demonstration in spotting, and recovery.
- Continue on up to Hoodraiser and Hogsback
- End the day on Archers Firebreak

Lunch: We'll stop mid day for a group lunch. I'm thinking either Lyda Camp, Hogsback, or Can Opener areas. If anyone wants to bring something for the group post up. Maybe we could get a little potluck going.

Extras:
I'm working on a contest or two amongst the drivers/passengers for a prize or two during Saturday's run. Should be fun, and add a little friendly competition. ;)

Camping: If interested, we'll be camping out likely Friday and Saturday nights at Browns Camp Campground. The fee is $10 per night, and $2 per extra vehicle per site. You can either arrive early and set up camp, or wait until after the run is over. FYI, weekends at Browns Camp can be hit and miss for getting a spot. We may head out later for a night run either night (don't hold me to it!). Sunday may also include more trails at TSF, or I was thinking of heading to Sand Lake for the day. This will depend on group consensus come Sunday morning. If you have a flag for Sand Lake you may want to toss it in just in case.

Expectations: Please take the time to look over the NWC Equipment and Participation Standards. Obviously some of the equipment standards won't apply for this run, but the more prepared you are the better. This is going to be a family friendly run, so please keep that in mind for the trail and campground.

I hope to see another great turnout for this. If you've been thinking about bringing your XJ out on a run, this is going to be a great run to learn the basics. It should be a lot of fun, and a great chance to learn something new. For the TSF regulars please know this will be an easy day. Your welcome to participate, or branch off on your own.

Let me know if there are any questions.

P1040982.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

Post up if you plan on attending, and which days. I'd like to keep track of our expected turnout for this.

Will the good lookin tall guy with the blue fleece and the bald head be there again?

is there a place i can park my 37' motorhome near the trailhead?
we will be on vacation in cottage grove, oregon, but may be able to take a couple more days off to hit this run.
how far is it from the town of tillimook?
we have been to the air museum & the cheese factory(yum!) but never to tsf.

DSCN5067_edited.jpg

is there a place i can park my 37' motorhome near the trailhead?
we will be on vacation in cottage grove, oregon, but may be able to take a couple more days off to hit this run.
how far is it from the town of tillimook?
we have been to the air museum & the cheese factory(yum!) but never to tsf.
We'll be camping at Browns Camp Campground. There are several large pull through spots for larger setups, and dispersed camping locations near by.

TSF is an off road vehicle area. It's basically a trail system located in the Tillamook State Forest. Think Hollister Hills. Come on out, meet some NWC'ers, and take a tour TSF.

From the town of Tillamook I'd say you're about 30 miles (30-40 minutes) from TSF.

- Depending on time/vehicles we may stop at Mini Rubicon for a demonstration in spotting, and recovery.

pics of Mini Rubicon?

look similar to real rubicon?

Also - once you make it to Rodgers Camp, is there anywhere that this trip is headed that requires a street legal vehicle?

I've never been to TSF - and this seems like a cool way to see a lot of the forest, and maybe infect some people with the rock crawling bug.

Definitely interested, and hope to have the rig together enough by then to make it.

pics of Mini Rubicon?

look similar to real rubicon?

Also - once you make it to Rodgers Camp, is there anywhere that this trip is headed that requires a street legal vehicle?

I've never been to TSF - and this seems like a cool way to see a lot of the forest, and maybe infect some people with the rock crawling bug.

Definitely interested, and hope to have the rig together enough by then to make it.
Nothing in common with the real Ruibicon. Just an obstacle at TSF. Here's some pics from Streetpirate last year. It's just a short technical rock section. Fun to goof around on, and one up people. :D

DSC_0215.jpg

You would enjoy the right side line.
DSC_0222.jpg

:D
DSC_0266.jpg

Basically all you need is an Oregon ORV permit for cruising around the gravel roads from trail to trail. It's not uncommon to see non street legal rigs cruising out of Rogers heading to the trails. I think you would be fine especially if you're in a group.

Hope you can make it.

Also, for anyone interested here's the trip report from last year.

Noobfest 2010

Oregon ATV Permit. $10.50, and good for two years.

P1070399.jpg

You can buy them at the Shell Gas Station I mentioned in the original post, or check out this link to find an agent along your route.

i am about 75% in.

this sounds like a great trip, even though i don't know anyone up there other than crazymoose & i don't know if he is going or not.
i carry enough tools to fix my junk, but could use an occasional spotter to help me keep the shiny side up.

i just got back from camping at boards crossing & running slick rock (in cal) & have to fix my front arb as it decided to stop working, as well as change out another unit bearing. i'll probably camp there friday & saturday night & leave sunday morning as i have a l-o-n-g drive home.

can you shoot up there? anyone else packing heat? :explosion

I was just going to show up and surprise everyone, since I vanished last year I figured I would reappear like I vanished. So yes Tim I will be there.

Tim bring what guns like. I carry all the time and most people dont even know. I think the problem becomes when people have guns sliding around in the rigs, falling out of the cab, shooting where there not suppose to and bringing them out around people who either dont like them or arent comfortable around them. Just things people have pointed out in previous posts.

Jeremy (98Cherokeesport35s) sells ammo at a pretty good price also. He's also a pretty good guy, just dont tell him any secrets. :)

Jeremy (98Cherokeesport35s) sells ammo at a pretty good price also. He's also a pretty good guy, just dont tell him any secrets. :)

why, is he a leo?

i am always hunting for deals on ammo.

Last edited:
Back