• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel width

rubiconrescue

NAXJA Forum User
ok proablly a dumb question but i have some new tires on the way to finish my jeep project. ended up scoring a deal on so 35/14.50 boggers. i now need some rims. can i run them on a 8 or do i need a 10 inch wide wheel? if so why. i have a feeling the 8 wont work on that wide a tire but i asked anyways :roll:

you could run them on the 8's but it would buldge the tires out so bad that they would look stupid. I would also think that they would be even more susceptible to sidewall damage....I would say go at least 10" wide or so...

I ran the same tires on 15x12s. Noticed they rode a lot better on the 12" rim than the previous 10" rim. Not really worried about losing beads as I have double beadlocks.

rubiconrescue,

A tire manufacturers website usually features the wheel width range as one of the tire specifications.

Rick

i wouldn't go lower than ten

Beej said:
Shouldn't you be sitting in your mom's basement reading Harry Potter?

:D

Damnit, you made me spit coke all over my screen :laugh2:

Rule of thumb here is the rim should be 2-4 inches smaller than tire tread width. This was told to me by the local chain tire store manager who is also my neighbor.

Back