• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Issues!

MellonBucket

NAXJA Forum User
So I have come over to the darkside. After own and wheeling Fords for the last decade I have bought my first Jeep. The guy I bought the XJ from had a list of receipts a mile long with a brand new clutch installed about 700 miles ago. The Jeep runs great and the clutch has good feel but I am unable to put in in gear unless I power shift rolling down a hill. All of the forums I've been looking through have all said slave but that was on the list of replaced parts with the clutch. Any one else have any ideas? :dunno:

95 XJ

It doesn't sound like your clutch is engaging and dis-engaging correctly. Do you have any noise when you press the clutch pedal? My first thought was throwout or release bearing. Now I'm wondering if you just have air in the hydraulic circuit. Can you bleed the slave? When the clutch was replaced, was the pressure plate replaced as well? I suppose you could have a weak or broken bellville spring.

Last edited:
I havent had a whole lot of time to really mess with it yet. The throw out sounds alright, no grinding/howl. It was a whole clutch kit that was installed. I havent tried bleeding the slave yet. On the bill write up it had master/slave replacement on there, I assume both are in good condition. I will try to bleed the slave this weekend, I am working 10's all week.

Try pumping the clutch pedal and then shifting--if it shifts better, then you need to bleed air out of the system.

Check those receipts--if the flywheel was "resurfaced" it may be too thin to allow proper clutch operation. Factory spec is to just "clean" up the surface OR replace the flywheel.

I was having trouble shifting a while back after replacing the master cylinder. I borrowed a vacuum bleeder and pulled all fresh fluid thru, haven't had a problem since. Worth a shot and its cheap to do.

Back