• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ virgin. perfect for wheeling machine!

jchampoux

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 96, need to get rid of my 88. bought it at 150k it has 198k now. 5 spd, 4.0, no A/C
I am the third owner, I bought it from a woman, who bought it from a dentist. Its never been wheeling. In fact I have never even had it in 4-low,

I have fixed or upgraded every common problem including:steering box, 3 row GDI cooling conversion with stock coolant resevoir by air box, full guage swap, center console (with cup holders) new headliner ( glue didnt hold, its falling) upgraded all interior lights, welded hinge, clock, fixed wiper slap, new hubs, front u-joints, brakes, shocks, pacesetter header, exhaust incl. summit cat, timing set, harmonic bal. sleeve, water pump, motor mounts, 100 amp alt. oil changed every 3 k, no leaks (except minor at oil filter o-rings) no blowby. factory hitch. The motor runs strong, no noises, no leaks no burning oilThe body is rough, mostly rocker panels. I fixed the drivers side rockers with epoxy and glass, and duralinered the bumpers and bottom of drivers side, got lazy and pass. side is not done. rear cargo area carpet ripped up because rear window seal let water get in and ruined it. I put a hole in the floor to get at the drivers side shock bolts.

Needs: Front axle disco stuck in lock. Idler pully squeaks, left turn blinker wont shut off by itself, front wipers wont park (need motor) rear wiper inop (need motor) looks like tcase might need output shaft seal. I keep driving it on failed inspection stickers, first because of the body, then the last time for emissions. I brought it in first thing in the a.m. and it was still in open loop. what a rookie mistake. I have been too lazy to go back in. I am in Mass. and dont have the time to deliver it outside of a couple of hours away. Its sad to see it go, but as I said, I just got a 96 Country. This would make a great wheeling machine! It might take too much body work (and reinspection) to make a daily driver, I will throw in a complete set of FSM's. I have all my records. selling AS IS, and
I will NOT part it out
Make me an offer and come get it.

Last edited:
4 door, dk blue, grey int. Interior is in great shape...in fact the seats still rock! all glass good , windsheild has two chips, out of line of sight.

Back