• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another stolen trailer in Colo Spgs

Colorado_XJ

Village Idiot #1287
OK...assumed...the ods of finding anything from this trailer are slim to none, but I will post regardless.

Stolen from a jobsite on the north end of town (Woodmen & I-25):
Freshly-fabbed single axle welding trailer. 6000# axle sitting on brand new 15" rims/tires (less than 25 miles on them!). Trailer itself is 10-11' long including tongue. Painted back. But here's the kicker. On this trailer is a just-rebuilt Lincoln Clasic 300G 40-350A welder (Gas-powered HUGE, blue-grey monster) sitting next to a couple brimming full bottles of O2 and Acetylene, which are hooked up to brand-new Victor regulators and 150' of hose, terminating in a brand-new Victor torch. Also wound on the trailer is about 300' of brand-new welding cable. The front end of the trailer has a triangular toolbox built onto the trailer, containing all kinds of usual goodies (ext. cords, grinders, welding rod, etc). Yup. Brand new almost everything.

Estimated value is somewhere around $13,000, not including all the labor it took to build the trailer. So, if you see a fab shop on wheels behind a buddy's rig, or parked in his driveway, PM me or call the CSPD or Sigma Metals (719-574-2280).

Here's a link for what the welder looks like:

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=2586

Thanks in advance.

-Rich

That sucks! I'll keep an eye out if I see it up in Denver. Was it attached to a truck or just sitting by itself. Was a tongue lock in use or any anti-theft device?

Nope, it was jsut the trailer itself. It had all kinds of provisions for locks, on the tongue, toolbox, torch case, you name it. were they in use? Nah, the erection team figured it'd be safe on a jobsite without fence overnight in a desolate spot off a major highway. Supposedly the CSPD has a lead on it as of today. We'll see.

Thanks fro the symapthy!

-Rich

Trailer found. CSPD found it tonight and called the company, then the owner to ask him to remove it or it would be impounded, being on the side of a roadway and all. So he said to the nice officer, "You mean the trailer that was stolen that you have an ongoing investigation on?". The polite officer apologized and said he had not checked for open cases pending when he ran the VIN. Nice.

So it looks like the thieves hooked up to it on-site and drove over a fresh curb, tearing a section of the curb out and snapping 2 U-bolts on the pass. side. That nice little impact looks like it broke the ball off their hitch and they proceeded to drag it the rest of the way. The wiring harness ripped out, the tongue is mangled, the toolbox is dented, and the contents of the toolbox are missing, as are the torch, reg's and hoses. License plate's mssing, too. The welder is fine and fired right up. So it's not a total loss.

Between the talented-driving thieves and the dullard officer that found it, it's been an interesting experience. Night, all!

-Rich

Colorado_XJ said:
Trailer found. CSPD found it tonight and called the company, then the owner to ask him to remove it or it would be impounded, being on the side of a roadway and all. So he said to the nice officer, "You mean the trailer that was stolen that you have an ongoing investigation on?". The polite officer apologized and said he had not checked for open cases pending when he ran the VIN. Nice.

So it looks like the thieves hooked up to it on-site and drove over a fresh curb, tearing a section of the curb out and snapping 2 U-bolts on the pass. side. That nice little impact looks like it broke the ball off their hitch and they proceeded to drag it the rest of the way. The wiring harness ripped out, the tongue is mangled, the toolbox is dented, and the contents of the toolbox are missing, as are the torch, reg's and hoses. License plate's mssing, too. The welder is fine and fired right up. So it's not a total loss.

Between the talented-driving thieves and the dullard officer that found it, it's been an interesting experience. Night, all!

-Rich
Glad to hear it turned out for the best. Hope YOU catch the thieves (notthe popo's).

I am glad, too. Now if only the insurance deductable wasn't more than what was thieved from the trailer!

Needless to say, the field crew has begun a regimented lockdown procedure during any extended jobsite stay!

Thanks, all.

-Rich

I work for a welding co. in northern CO and CSP just called us last week found a big outfit snagging stuff like that all over CO. they would bring it all the way back up to commerce city/denver area. they called us saying they found stuff with our stickers/logos all over it. some jeep/genorators and some other stuff. I guess they had some really big big stuff. mostley stuff that would be left at a job site over night. Glad you got it back that stuff isn't cheap and it's always a pisser when people take stuff that doesn't belong to them.

Back