• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Stud

xman

NAXJA Forum User
Just added rear disc brakes and the stock wheel stud are a bit short on the XJ 8.25 needs to be about ¼” longer. Went to local NAPA, Pep Boys, Checkers all they could offer is the same stock size, that their computer system pulled up, and had no way to do a cross reference. :flamemad:

Anyone have a part number for Dorman wheel stud something around this?

Thread 1/2-20
Knurl Diameter .625
Length 1 7/8
Shoulder Length 15/32

Thanks,

Xman

try going to a local machine shop, or 4x4 shop, if nothing else you may be able to fint some with a different thread pattern and use lugs nuts that match, it would be a pain in the ass to have different jugs in the front than in the rear, but what ever works.

Try getting to a good independant store that carries Dorman bolts. Then you'll need to have one of the originals with you and just match it up to a longer one. You might have to get longer than a 1/4 and cut to size.

mark

For a D44 rear I have found Advance auto parts lists p/n 98000
for stock.
I was (holy crap) allowed to peruse the actual Book and parts bins.
I found P/n 97000 has the same knurl and shoulder dimensions.
It is 7/16 inch longer with 1/4 inch of extra threads, I has the "nipple" on the end with no threads

Ford 83-81, Mercury 83-81

For your 8.25 ARP lists 100-7703 $9.95 per wheel
.625 knurl/3.5 inches overall/.400 (13/32)/1/2-20R/

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ARP-100-7703&N=120 300117

you know, that would probably work too...
It's funny that I didn't think of that.

as an addendum to my previous post.

97000 is the oem part
98225 is the longer part 82 merc cougar if any one cares

Just posting back up
82 mercury cougar
V6 3.8 2barrel
Rear
they are about 3/8 longer

Don't overthink this, just go buy rear disc brake ZJ studs. I used some studs from the ZJ and bout some new ones at Napa for a couple of bucks each. BTW, I put brakes on mine from a '95 Grand Cherokee.

From left to right here's the stock XJ wheel stud, disc brake ZJ wheel stud, new replacement ZJ stud, XJ backing plate stud, and ZJ backing plate stud. The nut is just there to keep the new stud from rolling away.
DSCN3626.jpg

DSCN3628.jpg

Chrysler P/N: 4762841 is what you're looking for.

On my xj I used studs for the d30 all the way around. It is long enough for zj rear disks on an 8.25 and steel soft 8 wheels

I thought I would let anyone know reading this thread that the longer studs from a 2003 Wrangler Rubicon will press into a 1995 sport with a Chrysler rear with stock drums and a Dana 30 front with stock discs. The part numbers are Dorman 610-449.1 from Autozone, 641-4265 from Napa, and 97078 from Advance. Super easy to do. Just like some people have said before, use a hammer to knock the old studs out and use a nut and long handle wrench to press the new ones back in. I used an old rotor and a washer along with an old lug nut to press mine in. The front definitely goes in a lot easier than the rear, but both pressed in nicely with some elbow grease. I am stoked with the results.

Just a heads up, these studs were hard for me to find. Just be prepared to wait on shipping if your local auto parts store doesn't have any in stock. I ordered mine and got them next day from Autozone.

Sheared-Mazda-Miata-wheel-studeee.jpg

i read the title of this post and it reminded me of this corny picture...

I searched for an hour trying to avoid bumping this OLD thread, but...

I'm searching for a part number for a ZJ/KJ backing plate stud. I found the Mopar part number but I'm looking for something cheaper/more readily available. Dorman? It looks like a 3/8 serrated wheel stud but I can't find anything like that. HELP?

Re: Re: Wheel Stud

I searched for an hour trying to avoid bumping this OLD thread, but...

I'm searching for a part number for a ZJ/KJ backing plate stud. I found the Mopar part number but I'm looking for something cheaper/more readily available. Dorman? It looks like a 3/8 serrated wheel stud but I can't find anything like that. HELP?

I am actually undertaking the same zj disc swap currently and am putting in 3/8"-16 x 1 1/2" grade 8 bolts. You'll need nuts too. Its the common fix for this mod.

Back