• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gears! Here's a pattern, guess the shim I need!

2.gif

Yep, pinion is to deep, You should be using set-up bearings(old set) to eliminate need to press the bearings off/on.

BTW, type of axle would helpful.

It's an 8.25. I figured the bearing caps were a dead giveaway.

Parts store was out of bearings to make a tester so I thought I'd give it a shot with factory shims.

Was wondering about how much shim yo remove, I dont do this every day. .005?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Whenever you show a pattern you also need to state the backlash it was taken at.

You should be using set-up bearings(old set) to eliminate the need to press the bearings off/on.

I can't imagine setting up a differential without set-up bearings.
You indicated that you do not want to try three times to get a good pattern but most of the time, for us amateurs, it takes several more attempts to get a good pattern.
Trying to cut corners on a gear set-up is a recipe for failure.
Patience is the name of the game.

You could simply answer it but instead you're going to the extra effort to be patronizing. Sigh.

I already explained the bearing thing and why I didn't use a setup bearing! I gave it a shot.

Backlash is well within spec at .007.

Just forget it. I know what I'm doing, I was just making conversation.

You could simply answer it but instead you're going to the extra effort to be patronizing. Sigh.

I already explained the bearing thing and why I didn't use a setup bearing! I gave it a shot.

Backlash is well within spec at .007.

Just forget it. I know what I'm doing, I was just making conversation.

You may be looking at things incorrectly, cause I did not see any patronizing going on. I saw people responding with helpful information only.

Back