• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UT- Elephant Hill

Handlebars

NAXJA Member #135
The Needles District of Canyonlands National Park is a place where the sky seems to be held up by the many columns of Cedar Mesa Sandstone. The topography consists of vertical cliffs broken into spires and the sandy, narrow valleys between them. A jeep road negotiates steep ledges, narrow slots and some of the tightest switchbacks ever carved into a crag to access to this dreamland.

There is much to see beyond where your vehicle is allowed. Chesler Park is a grassy meadow surrounded by a sandstone parapet that you can access through fissures in the rock via the Joint Trail. A high overlook allows you to peer down at the deeply entrenched confluence of the Green and Colorado rivers. Sixty more miles of hiking trails in the area can keep you busy for several days, better reserve one of the backcountry campsites to extend your sojourn.

Canyonlands NP has a really nice map on their website which I could not improve upon. The .gpx file has tracks for the Elephant Hill/Confluence loop and a separate side trip to Chesler Park. Waypoints correspond to Charles Wells' Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails, Second Edition and are labeled as follows:
  • 53## - Elephant Hill
  • 54## - Lavender Canyon
  • 55## - Beef Basin
I have also included waypoints for Bobby’s Hole (has been stabilized by the BLM and is passable to any 4x4) and nearby Impossible Hill, which is a steep, bouldery dead end. Bobby's Hole is uphill when traveling from north to south.

Coming into the Needles from Beef Basin
orig.jpg

SOB Hill
orig.jpg

Coming in from Elephant Hill
orig.jpg

The Devil's Pocket
orig.jpg

The Silver Stairs
orig.jpg

An xjblue photo of a trailer negotiating the switchbacks
orig.jpg

Switchback on the other side is even tighter
orig.jpg

The Joint Trail
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Chesler Park
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Attachments

• Elephant Hill.gpx
    189.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Yeah..>E Hill is very scenic and easy enough for a stocker. Just watch out for those tight turns!
260pv7b.jpg

Definitely a unique place. Probably been 10 years since we were there, but I remember being at the top of the switchbacks and hearing some horrible banging, grinding, and scraping noises. We waited for a few minutes and a woman and two kids came walking up, then a few minutes later comes dad, in the stock fullsize suburban, with the aluminum running boards in an inverted "U" shape. He claimed he must have made a wrong turn... :laugh2:

Being we are getting to town before most of the group. ( Friday early afternoon) I think we will run this one Saturday if anyone else is in town early and wants to hit it.....

Back