• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's the trick?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So what's the trick to removing your stock trim goop?

I just pulled it off because I have some plates I'll be putting on (3/16" steel cut and formed for the doors, part of a NWC group order)...It's just the trim tape left now, but it doesnt come off easily. So I figure there must be something that will get this off easily!

Thanks.
~Scott

I use acetone or MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone).

I've tried acetone, and 3m sticky residue remover...no luck.

progress....but a b!tch to do...anything else I might try before spending the $$$?

~Scott

I've tried acetone, and 3m sticky residue remover...no luck.

progress....but a b!tch to do...anything else I might try before spending the $$$?

~Scott

Scott, mine came off easily with a heat gun to soften it and a plastic putty knife. I cleared up the very thin remaining residue with Goof Off and a rag.

Well I ended up trying acetone, laquer thinner, and 3m sticky residue remover...at the end of it all and it not doing much other than soften already soft double sided foamy tape (someone was an idiot prior to me...) I ended up spraying the heck out of everything with the 3m residue remover and then scraping it all off with a seal scraper (didn't help my paint, but didn't take anything noticable off either) and then spraying it some more and wiping it to clean the surface.

Thanks for the help though, I may end up trying some other methods if my current one stops working.

~Scott

~Scott

If your plating over, why worry about the paint? Wouldn't it be easier to wire/flap wheel it off, prime, then plate?

'Splain please?

Because if I ever take the plates off I'd rather it still looks half decent. Plus it's cheaper to just go easy on things than take the paint off and have to paint again.

(Paint isn't free)

~Scott

What I did on mine, use a paint scraper razor to cut the bulk off, used the eraser wheel in a drill to wipe off what didn't cut off, with mineral spirits and rags to keep the area clean.

A couple of guys on JF said they got it off easy with heat gun and rolling it up with their thumb and a rag. I think that would work and be easier.

Muddy Beast said:
Because if I ever take the plates off I'd rather it still looks half decent. Plus it's cheaper to just go easy on things than take the paint off and have to paint again.

(Paint isn't free)

~Scott
Right on. I was trying to get an explaination on the fishing line thing.
Mineral Spirits? It should work, prolly remove any wax or whatever if that's a concern.

If your plating over, why worry about the paint? Wouldn't it be easier to wire/flap wheel it off, prime, then plate?

'Splain please?

On a few of my older cars I was able to slide the line under the goop and use it as a scraper of sorts. Once its lifted up a little bit it comes off easier. The hit the remaining spots with some bug and tar remover.

Back