• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock recommendations

cox_xj

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i found out my rig has the wrong shocks on it

the fronts are for the older jeep p/u with 3" of lift, and the rears are for a ford with 10"+ of lift

so the fronts are 2 short, and the rears 2 long

so i'm looking at getting the proper shocks, i was looking at the procomp es9000's but have heard mixed reviews

i'm looking for something that will give me a comfortable ride on the road, but will keep my tires on the ground when i wheel

i've had bilsteins on my sports cars and loved them, but i dont know anything bout there truck shocks

anyone have any experince with the 5100/5125 series by bilstein

what other shocks are good?

btw stock shock specs:
Compressed Length 12.625 inches
Extended Length 20.375 inches
Travel 7.750 inches

so i need a shock with an extended length of at least 26", right?

also: can the BPE's be used in the rear to?

Old Man Emu... If you have stock lift, N35 for the front and N36 for the rear. If you have more than 3" of lift, N35L front, and N36L rear. I'm running them, and love them.

hmm, i think the OME is only good up to 5"... wait and see what others say. I've heard the Bilsteins are real nice too.

ty20404 said:
hmm, i think the OME is only good up to 5"... wait and see what others say. I've heard the Bilsteins are real nice too.

raise your shock mounts.

ty20404 said:
Old Man Emu... If you have stock lift, N35 for the front and N36 for the rear. If you have more than 3" of lift, N35L front, and N36L rear. I'm running them, and love them.

since youre talking about ome's i am considering getting new shocks. i have had 2 back surgeries and my ride is pretty rough on my back... so ome's help smooth the ride out considerably then? i know it wont ride like a caddy but i was just wanting to smooth it out some....a little is better than none...i know i should probably get new LCAs too as they are stockers on a 3" lift and that might help make it more smooth. but do you think the ome's would be a good investment considering or do they not smooth it out that much?

cox_xj said:
ok so i found out my rig has the wrong shocks on it

the fronts are for the older jeep p/u with 3" of lift, and the rears are for a ford with 10"+ of lift

so the fronts are 2 short, and the rears 2 long

so i'm looking at getting the proper shocks, i was looking at the procomp es9000's but have heard mixed reviews

i'm looking for something that will give me a comfortable ride on the road, but will keep my tires on the ground when i wheel

i've had bilsteins on my sports cars and loved them, but i dont know anything bout there truck shocks

anyone have any experince with the 5100/5125 series by bilstein

what other shocks are good?

btw stock shock specs:
Compressed Length 12.625 inches
Extended Length 20.375 inches
Travel 7.750 inches

so i need a shock with an extended length of at least 26", right?

also: can the BPE's be used in the rear to?

If you can fit them, bilstein 5150's. I was a sceptic till I put them up front. Now I need to stop spending money on other stuff and put in a pair in the back.

Kejtar said:
If you can fit them, bilstein 5150's. I was a sceptic till I put them up front. Now I need to stop spending money on other stuff and put in a pair in the back.

the 5150's are the same as the 5125, just with a shorter body thanks to the crossflow reservoir

i can get a 5125 with the same valving in the 5125 series for less

yeah, the OMEs ride much better than OEM or the generic white shocks...

cox_xj said:
the 5150's are the same as the 5125, just with a shorter body thanks to the crossflow reservoir

i can get a 5125 with the same valving in the 5125 series for less
X-3, I have the 5150's. Great shock, but like cox_xj said for about 70 bucks a shock 5125's are hard to pass up. Measure before you buy, but at 6" lift you should be fine with a 10" travel shock 255/70 valving.

My .02

I have 5125s in the rear of mine and theyre great.

ty20404 said:
yeah, the OMEs ride much better than OEM or the generic white shocks...

alright thats what ive heard from others as well. and i have generic white one now...sounds like i will look into omes thanks!

Back