• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

inconsistent whining

kylepalmieri

NAXJA Forum User
ive got a whining sound coming from under my 2000 xj sounds like from the front but who knows. i can only hear it at random times usually when ive been driving a littlewhile and usually fresh off a highway when im going between 25 and 40mph. a high pitched electric motor like whine will kick in and get higher and lower with speed with coasting and accelerating. but it wont do it consistently and not all the time. when it is doing it ,i can put it in neutral and turn off my engine and hear it kind of wind down until i go below 15 mph then it stops. do u think its a diff problem, bearing problem, a rubbing brake,or a worn out u joint?

Sounds like a pinion bearing. Check your front differential fluid.
You can pull the front drive shaft to ensure it;s not the cause of the noise.

I was going to say electrical fan, till you said you turn the motor off and coast from 15 to 0 and still hear it.

D

OK you say it's not related to acceleration or de-acceleration so I doubt it's a bearing.

Could be the AUX fan going bad or just the belts lose, the on-off would be the defroster cycling the A/C compressor.

i thought that too but when i put it in neutral and turn off the engine to coast i can still hear it. reading into it more it sounds more like a front axel pinion bearing how common of a problem is this? my jeep has 126k on it

Back