• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

am I causing damage?

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
I run 33x12.50x15 on AR767 15x10, 4"BS on BFG A/T's..brand new..I'v got a D30 and 8.25...now the concern is right now Im running 3.55's

I'v read all the gearing posts and realize that 4.56's or even 4.88's Incase I go to 35's down the road would be best...but right now I dont see regearing to be a main concern or something Im gonna do in the next few months...should I be worried?

Am I causing stress on the engine and axles...I mean obviously Im causing more then stock stress but am I over doing It and pushing the limits? Its a daily driver and I pry only run the trails 3-4 times a year...some rocks, some mud, East coast wheeling...

As far as loss of power I dont mind, Im not heavy footed and I havent even noticed any loss of acceleration on the streets, highway's or trails...

Is It something I should be worrying about or can I run them as long as I am comfortable with my lack of acceleration and get-up?

XJ99 said:
I run 33x12.50x15 on AR767 15x10, 4"BS on BFG A/T's..brand new..I'v got a D30 and 8.25...now the concern is right now Im running 3.55's

I'v read all the gearing posts and realize that 4.56's or even 4.88's Incase I go to 35's down the road would be best...but right now I dont see regearing to be a main concern or something Im gonna do in the next few months...should I be worried?

Am I causing stress on the engine and axles...I mean obviously Im causing more then stock stress but am I over doing It and pushing the limits? Its a daily driver and I pry only run the trails 3-4 times a year...some rocks, some mud, East coast wheeling...

As far as loss of power I dont mind, Im not heavy footed and I havent even noticed any loss of acceleration on the streets, highway's or trails...

Is It something I should be worrying about or can I run them as long as I am comfortable with my lack of acceleration and get-up?

I ran mine that way for quite a while, I really dont think you are causing any damage it jsut dont like the hills on the highway very much. l overheating is always in issure

i have researched this very much, and 4.10's is plenty for me..... i have a little secret in my tranny, more of a Lo-1-2-3-4-R set up

4.10's should be prefect for cruising on the road, starting in 1, or Lo if its a steep enough hill, the Lo should make the gears feel like 4.40-4.50ish

I run 33x12.50 with 3.55 gear ratio and an auto overdrive. Both front and rear are locked and she crawls really well. It has been like this since I got it almost a year ago and who knows how long prior to me obtaining it. I have had absolutly no problems. I put the gear sector in 3 to drive around town and when I get on the highway I shift to overdrive at about 65 mph and vise versa. You will be fine with what you have. The acceleration is not all that slow either.

Look at "4 wheel parts.com" and you can then go to thier wheel and tire packages and chose a tire and then you will find a gear ratio/tire size chart. you will see that you are ok according to that chart. Just a little on the numerically low side.

4.56's with 35's makes the overall gearing just about what a stock vehicle comes with.

I ran 32's with 3.55's for over a year, and now have been runing 33's for a few months. While it seems to work ok for the rocks, it sucks on the grades around nor-cal. With a full load of people, and all my spare parts, its down into 2nd gear up a coulple of the grades around here. With just me and spares, its ok. I havent seen any damage as of yet, but im also running the stock tranny cooler, with the factory aux. tranny coolers, and an aftermarket cooler. All being said, yes it works, but i cant wait till the end of july, when i can get my 4.56's!!!

Ran mine like that for awhile, but tranny cooler would be a must, exspecially if it is '97 and up, b/c they have a boil-over vent and when it gets hot it spits tranny fluid, but hey that's like a $20 fix.

tealcherokee said:
i have researched this very much, and 4.10's is plenty for me..... i have a little secret in my tranny, more of a Lo-1-2-3-4-R set up

4.10's should be prefect for cruising on the road, starting in 1, or Lo if its a steep enough hill, the Lo should make the gears feel like 4.40-4.50ish
even 4.40 4.50 ish will be to shallow. dont screw yourself on this one. i have 4.56s and 33s and something deeper wouldnt hurt.

Back