• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Q: Does my 01 XJ have a clear-flood mode?

fjxj0103

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ like mentioned above, stock engine, no aftermarket immobilizer or anything.

It’s mostly out of curiosity, but I have this random thing where it won’t start, hot or cold, is been going on for about a year. I wanted to see if getting the engine up to full cranking speed before firing the injectors might help, it always wants to immediately start and ends up backfiring or just plain failing to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are not getting up to full cranking speed pretty quick, perhaps the starter is defective or suffering from low voltage to it. Bad battery clamps? weak battery? bad connections are start solenoid? weak starter relay voltage? dirty solenoid contacts? etc....

Seems like you may suspect flooding, so maybe check that injector is not leaky, a fuel pressure leakdown check may help you with that.

You can also disable the fuel pump, then crank the motor to clear a flooded cylinder easily by disconnecting the fuel pump ballast resistor located near the aircleaner.

good luck

OBD-II has no ballast resistor.

Does my 01 XJ have a clear-flood mode?

Yes it does. Gas pedal all the way to the floor while cranking shuts off the 1997-2001 injectors.

Failure to start symptoms you describe should make one suspect the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

If my 2000 is hard to start, and wants to backfire, the injectors are dirty and need a bottle of injector cleaner in a gas tank fill-up or two.

I wonder if I have a leaking injector then? When I put the pedal to the floor it still tries to fire in one cylinder.

Are all the tune-up parts fresh ? What brand and part number spark plugs are installed ? The 2000-01 are a bit picky about what spark plugs they like and dislike.

Have you cleaned and snugged up all the grounds ? Have you tested the fuel injectors, inspected for dribbles, and observed their spray pattern ?

Haven’t had the time lately to test anything, I think the plugs are original lol. I’m the third owner, and the two previous owners were kind, older people. Its my DD, so I need to make sure I have the time to tear it apart and get it back together before school/work the next day.

One might suppose fresh spark plugs are a good idea. :dunno:

Basic Champion Copper, or Autolite APP-985.

Back