• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Obd2 wont connect

If everything else including the instrument cluster is working ok then there's probably something going on with the OBD connector or your scanner.
I'd check any OBD connectors first and try a different scanner before diving into this deeper.

Or do you have a CEL with PCM communication type codes when pulling the codes via the instrument panel?

The reader works on my other vehicles. It does have a cel on. I've shot power on the pins and checked the grounds on the pins and all check good.

I had the same issue with my own '96 XJ OBD2.

It could be simply that your reader is having an issue.

My own code reader works OK on my car ... but the code reader that my local smog
checker uses doesn't do a thing.

He failed my car at first because his smog machine couldn't get a reading. Nothing.
He pulled out his code reader ... same thing ... nothing. This guys tests car all day
with his equipment without problems.

I then pulled out my own code reader and, whoila! My reader came on and showed
no issues, no outstanding codes. I then took my car to the AAA. Their smog machine,
and their code reader, worked just fine (I passed with flying colors).

I have a DashCommand app on my iPad and it works on my '96 XJ just fine, too.

Go figure.

Try taking your car to a local Pep Boys or AutoZone, etc. and see whether if their code reader will work on your car.

What scanner are you using. Provide the exact model. Some scanners have an issue connecting to the 96 ecu. Even the HP tuners module cant run high speed datalogging on it, but they have a work around.

"What scanner are you using. Provide the exact model. Some scanners have an issue connecting to the 96 ecu. Even the HP tuners module cant run high speed datalogging on it, but they have a work around. "

OK, but don't laugh. Most of my tools are rather vintage.

Innova 3100. It is just a Code Reader - not a Scanner. When I bought it, these things
were new to the market and it cost me north of $120. More full-featured, real scanners,
with graphing capabilities can be had for less these days.

I also use DashCommand v 4.6.7 on a vintage iPad 2, iOS 7. It communicates with
my car via an ELM327 v2 Bluetooth adaptor. It works on both my '96 and '98 XJs.

DashCommand takes a bit of work to setup. It is not perfect, and there are a few
quirks that I would change in the display readout(s) but cannot - but otherwise it is
a great tool. While driving, it turns your cockpit into the Sick Bay of the Starship
Enterprise - but don't take your eyes off of the road while using it ;-).

My 96 will not connect (hasn't in ten years) with probably 5 or 6 scan tools being tried.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back