• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me identify this engine noise

I have a three-foot length of clear plastic 1-inch tubing that works well as a stethoscope, actually better than my mechanics stethoscope. I've been able to localize loose connecting rod bearings within a cylinder or two.

Still hard to say.

1) Did it just start?
2) What oil is in there?
3) How's the oil pressure?
4) Does it get louder with revs or more quiet?
5) Have you checked the torque converter bolts for tightness?

1) Did it just start? - It did indeed
2) What oil is in there? - Rotella T5 10w30
3) How's the oil pressure? About 70psi
4) Does it get louder with revs or more quiet? Seems to be about the same - just faster
5) Have you checked the torque converter bolts for tightness? - All good there

It's definitely more noticeable on startup, but always there a bit. Very strange...

Might be some minor slap. Could be a lifter. Could be flex plate.

Not something I would personally worry about chasing down. All 3 are benign issues on what's likely a high mileage engine.

How many on the clock?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Interior is clean as a whistle

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks! The interior is what sold me on this one.

The motor came from the yard supposedly with 119K or so. That was about 15K ago. Engine has been making noise since I first started her up, so I try not to beat on it too bad. Figure I'll rebuild or replace some day one more time. Don't ever plan on getting rid of it.

Thanks! The interior is what sold me on this one.

The motor came from the yard supposedly with 119K or so. That was about 15K ago. Engine has been making noise since I first started her up, so I try not to beat on it too bad. Figure I'll rebuild or replace some day one more time. Don't ever plan on getting rid of it.

mine has 208K on it. fires up first time. has a lifter tick (most 4.0s do) and I beat the snot out of it. These engines can go 400K with basic maintenance.

You can try a slightly thicker oil, but honestly they all make a little noise.

Might be some minor slap. Could be a lifter. Could be flex plate.

I think you can get at the flexplate bolts without any major disassembly, right? Couldn't hurt to put a wrench on and make sure they're not backing out (they'll make some pretty horrific sounds when they get really loose - like something in the block is trying to punch through)...

I think you can get at the flexplate bolts without any major disassembly, right? Couldn't hurt to put a wrench on and make sure they're not backing out (they'll make some pretty horrific sounds when they get really loose - like something in the block is trying to punch through)...

correct. there's an inspection plate at bottom of bell housing

5) Have you checked the torque converter bolts for tightness? - All good there

He did say that he checked them already.

I'd say halft the time people complain about an engine noise on a 4.0 it's lifter related, and the other half is because the torque converter bolts backed out a little. I had to keep tightening mine even with red loctite.

Back