• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission

blaube

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 Sport with manual transmission. It's now shifting differently. Meaning, I struggle to get in reverse and I can feel it moving through the gears as I shift. If I take it easy, it will be fine, but when I'm accelerating and shift fast, I notice it's different.

The clutch is about 2 years old. So, I know it's fine unless it's failing prematurely.

Shifting into 4H is an issue as well. I think my transfer case needs replacing as well.

Anyone recommend a good place online to order a transmission and transfer case?

Pull the shifter out and check the shifter bushing first. Change the trans fluid too while you're at it.

Also, it's probably not the transfer case. The linkage on xjs suck. Check out Azzy's Design Works.

Note: pulling the shifter can be difficult if you'be never done it. Pull the upper and lower boots, pop the shifter seal up, then push down on the locking ring and rotate it counter clockwise until it pops out.

There are YouTube videos about it too.

Note: pulling the shifter can be difficult if you'be never done it. Pull the upper and lower boots, pop the shifter seal up, then push down on the locking ring and rotate it counter clockwise until it pops out.

There are YouTube videos about it too.

I have never done it nor have the place to do it. I'll find someone locally with a garage who knows how and pay them for their services.

Thanks again.

Back