• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper receiver hitch vs. actual receiver hitch, thoughts?

That looks like a nice set of brackets, and I agree fully on the "build it like a hitch inside the bumper" statement.

on our bumpers we go into the frame rail and replace the nut strip with a bracket. This is going to be the strongest way you can tie into the cherokee unibody.

As far as the bumpers go, most bent plate bumpers are not going to have the strength to prevent twisting when using much tongue load or even a drop hitch.

If you are doing a DIY kit you can easily build the center like a standard hitch with a square tube subframe and then put the bumper skin on the front.

We do have a way to address this issue in the next revision of our kits and bumpers, but I don't want to go into details until it's been put through production and fully tested.

jul152014_2044.jpg

I like those brackets. I want to retain my factory bumper because I have a factory tire carrier but would like to re-enforce the bumper with 3/16 plate and a better tie in. Do you sell those brackets separately? I have a factory receiver hitch that bolts on in the usual fashion and don't want to loose that functionality and these appear to retain the factory nut strip spacing and would allow me to do so.

If he doesn't, there are a bunch of threads on how folks built similar contraptions. Those are super clean, though, and I wish I had known about them before I went with another DIY bumper where I ended up welding a 2x4x0.120 wall tube to the back of to make my nut strip. Didn't take long and wasn't hard but not nearly as slick as those.

the ones I made are just a piece of 2x4" .250 wall square tube with the holes drilled for the standard hitch mounting on an XJ and tapped for 9/16" coarse bolts.

no welding required. just cut the top of them off to fit inside the chassis and clear under the fuel filler neck on the drivers side.

did you mean your welder is a 110v? a 100am welder would be massive.

No it's 110 volt input-100 amp output-low duty cycle, around 20%, we have a buzz box in the farm shop that is over 200 amp output on 220 volt input. 100 amps is pretty low for a MIG.

On your mounts I take away the you just tapped the holes in the mounts for the bolts that normally secure to the nut strips. Is this correct? Have you had any problems with the holes stripping?

I have never seen any bumper (commercial or homemade) that attached as well as the detours tailbone http://detoursusa.com/tailbone_install.php

I used this on my previous jeep, then removed it before selling. I had it blasted and ordered all new hardware from detours before installing it on my current XJ. A tailbone would be a great starting point if you wanted to replace the stock bumper skin with some thicker metal, or you could take some inspiration for your mounting points from it.

I have a JCR bumper with the tie-ins and I had no problem towing this precious cargo up 8 miles of stage rally road some of which was very steep and rough. Just wish I had brought a drop hitch...
29536744451_9ebf187889_z.jpg

Without more reinforcement, I wouldn't use the JCR bumper for real towing. Couple jetskis or a small 5x8 trailer up to about 1500 lbs, sure. 3/16 is all that holding that receiver in. The recovery points are welded directly to the frame mounts so they can take a lot more force. Don't get me wrong, its a solid bumper and I backed into a tree at about 10mph and had just a tiny dent right where the cutout for the safety chains go but I wouldn't trust a big load to it. It's not certified and imagine the field day a lawyer would have if you lost a load because of a failure. You're now negligent and can't pull the defective equipment defense.

I have a one off bumper with a receiver and it's tied in to the stock hitch mounts. It's fine for anything you should put behind an xj. You'll need a large drop hitch. Something like 6 inches depending on your suspension

I have never seen any bumper (commercial or homemade) that attached as well as the detours tailbone http://detoursusa.com/tailbone_install.php

I used this on my previous jeep, then removed it before selling. I had it blasted and ordered all new hardware from detours before installing it on my current XJ. A tailbone would be a great starting point if you wanted to replace the stock bumper skin with some thicker metal, or you could take some inspiration for your mounting points from it.

While I like the Tailbone and wish they were still made they are used in addition to a trailer hitch and do not have one built in.

meh.

there are a lot of attachment points on that bumper that are completely unnecessary if you go with the "inside frame" style mounts.

the stock rear crossmember adds very little strength.

Resurrecting this post.

I have a '99 XJ with factory tow hitch and I'm looking to put a JCR rear tire carrier bumper on there reinforced with JCR rear frame stiffeners and also with these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-1986-...-Brackets-DIY-Fabrication-Ver-2-/163691598618

Should I have any concerns being able to pull a teardrop camper (less than 2,500 pounds) with the JCR bumper reinforced so?

To clarify, my shop and I plan to remove the factory hitch and just use the JCR as my tow point.

Resurrecting this post.

I have a '99 XJ with factory tow hitch and I'm looking to put a JCR rear tire carrier bumper on there reinforced with JCR rear frame stiffeners and also with these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-1986-...-Brackets-DIY-Fabrication-Ver-2-/163691598618

Should I have any concerns being able to pull a teardrop camper (less than 2,500 pounds) with the JCR bumper reinforced so?

That's not to bad on trailer weight, I'd be more concerned that the is not re-enforced enough for a tire carrier.
https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1160514

That's not to bad on trailer weight, I'd be more concerned that the is not re-enforced enough for a tire carrier.
https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1160514

I've discussed this extensively with the shop (Mount Zion Offroad).

Right now, the plan is for:
JCR rear bumper with tire carrier
JCR rear unibody stiffeners (welded on)
JCR rear unibody tie-in bracket
Circle-S rear bumper brackets

This should result in an off-the-shelf set up pretty close to what you show in that thread.

I really can't think of anything else that I can do to beef things up.

I've discussed this extensively with the shop (Mount Zion Offroad).

Right now, the plan is for:
JCR rear bumper with tire carrier
JCR rear unibody stiffeners (welded on)
JCR rear unibody tie-in bracket
Circle-S rear bumper brackets

This should result in an off-the-shelf set up pretty close to what you show in that thread.

I really can't think of anything else that I can do to beef things up.

That's not even close with full tube extending into the main bumper/framerail and full tube supports going out to the corner.

@JeepNoob,
Thanks for asking this question, because I have the same one.

My XJ's in the shop now and here's the work order for my rear bumper:

I really need to have the ability to do light towing (like a Uhaul 4x8 or 5x8 trailer).

Will I be totally safe with 2,500lbs or less (half of the original tow rating) for long highway trips?

Will Uhaul look for a certification sticker?

RCP, I see that we actually discussed this (in this thread) back in February.

SMH.

Still interested in hearing educated input on what I can expect to tow safely, as opposed to being told how poor of a solution I have compare to XYZ.

Will Uhaul look for a certification sticker?

The U-haul here has a list of the ratings and required items they go by to rent trailers.

Back