• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4, 4x4, 4.0L, '98 XJ Slow to get goin'

Of the many things I've done in life, I was also once an ASE certified tech. My certifications all expired about 10 years ago. Some things you learn from books (which is how I got ASE certs) and some things you have to learn from experience.

Some transmissions are hard to see the level on the dipstick. The tube can have fluid stuck to the walls, and it'll wipe off on the stick as you pull it from the tube. What you have to look for is a solid line across the stick. It's hard to explain in words. Sometimes I've seen it look like it's a foot past the add mark, but only on one side. Flip it over and there's nothing. That's the fluid stuck to the tube wiping off on the stick.

Of the many things I've done in life, I was also once an ASE certified tech. My certifications all expired about 10 years ago. Some things you learn from books (which is how I got ASE certs) and some things you have to learn from experience.

Some transmissions are hard to see the level on the dipstick. The tube can have fluid stuck to the walls, and it'll wipe off on the stick as you pull it from the tube. What you have to look for is a solid line across the stick. It's hard to explain in words. Sometimes I've seen it look like it's a foot past the add mark, but only on one side. Flip it over and there's nothing. That's the fluid stuck to the tube wiping off on the stick.

I run into this too. Also, when I freshly filled it there is trans oil on the side of the tube. I think to some extent on the engine oil too.

Edit: Also, as a check, the trans oil level will or should be up on the 'Z' bend on the trans dipstick when not running. This also helps to check if the transmission pump is working. The level should go lower to the fill lines when running.

Last edited:
Back