• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What leaf springs require boomerang shackles?

Angle with extended shackle.
a2036778922250fea86978a007625f0b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Those shackles are almost vertical. What springs are you running?

My XJ with OEM springs at 4 inches of lift are abut the same angle. The IRO springs at 2 inches longer should cane the shackle to a more acceptable angle.

OME 3.5".
2" longer sounds like a bunch but it sounds like they might be the ticket.

Thanks. I feel like I'm getting close to actually doing something.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Edit: Did a re-read on your previous post... great info.

Last edited:
Asked IRO what length there 3.5" spring are compared to OEM and OME.

Reply:

"I’m not sure what the factory length is, I don’t have one here to measure. Our 3.5” leaf spring is about 49” from center to center."

That doesn't sound correct to me. Seems I measured 53" on the OME.. weird. I'll measure again.

Reply:

"I’m not sure what the factory length is, I don’t have one here to measure. Our 3.5” leaf spring is about 49” from center to center."

That doesn't sound correct to me. Seems I measured 53" on the OME.. weird. I'll measure again.

49" c-to-c is probably the distance with no load on the springs. They told me the flat length is 53". OME told me that their CS034RA and RB are both 52" c-to-c flat length. When I measured my Rough Country springs, I used a string to follow the path of the spring, and then I measured the string.

Reply:

The 25 year old springs on my XJ laying sideways on the floor two years ago measured 51 inches. Forward spring attachment point to shackle attachment point on the unibody is also 51 inches.

I need a new set of springs without the additional lift but better shackle angle. In some ways, that rule out shackle relocation bracket. The IRO springs are what I have been eyeing for some time especially since they are advertised as being longer than the OEM springs. My XJ lift is 4.5 inches, 1 inch higher than I wanted.

The 25 year old springs on my XJ laying sideways on the floor two years ago measured 51 inches. Forward spring attachment point to shackle attachment point on the unibody is also 51 inches.

I need a new set of springs without the additional lift but better shackle angle. In some ways, that rule out shackle relocation bracket. The IRO springs are what I have been eyeing for some time especially since they are advertised as being longer than the OEM springs. My XJ lift is 4.5 inches, 1 inch higher than I wanted.

Patrick,

Thanks for that. Looks like I wasn't 'subscribed' so late to see this. You could use Stinky Fab SRB for no additional lift but that requires some cutting.. I'm too lazy and already have bolt-in (for years) but yet to install.
I'm at 3.5" OME on 33 x 10.5" now, could live with another inch, but could probably run 35s easily with my fenders trimmed and Rusty's fenders on there now. But I don't really want 35s with my tires near new and skinny the way I like.

Back