• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Door Lock Switch Clips

reggiesbush

NAXJA Forum User
On the drivers side electric switch panel there are these little metal clips that hold the physical switch and the block connectors together. The only place I have been able to find them is on a brand new switch assembly for about $200. Does anyone know anywhere else these can be found?

Any help is appreciated.

Are you referring to push nuts?

6156301-24.jpg

it would help if you could indicate what year XJ you're referring to.

I can't speak to the 97+ models, but the 84-96 models have tiny little spring-steel "hooks" to hold the wiring connector onto the window/lock switch panels (they grab into the "rubber" of the connector block), they're fiddly little devils that can be easy to knock loose and hard to spot when they land on the ground under the truck. I lost a couple at one point for my driver's door (which takes six of the things), and used a couple of 4-inch zipties as a temporary substitute, which took some fiddling to get arranged. Eventually I got my hands on a used master switch panel that had a full set, giving me spares.

Here's a link to a "Standard Motor Products" version of the 85-96 style master panel - you can see the clips I'm referring to in two of the three pictures: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIpvOehI267gIVkMmUCR2L-gxsEAQYASABEgKUgfD_BwE

I've no idea if these clips can be sourced independently, but if you have a "mill supply store" around and have at least one of them still, you could see if they could match it to a known product. That, or buy a used panel on eBay and hope it comes with at least a couple clips (and then you have spare switches)...

If you mean the ones Rob referred to, good luck. I lost a few a while back and could not find any, anywhere. Then one day an 88XJ showed up at ly local parts yard. I grabbed all of the door switches with those pesky little hooks.

and then some....

it would help if you could indicate what year XJ you're referring to.

I can't speak to the 97+ models, but the 84-96 models have tiny little spring-steel "hooks" to hold the wiring connector onto the window/lock switch panels (they grab into the "rubber" of the connector block), they're fiddly little devils that can be easy to knock loose and hard to spot when they land on the ground under the truck. I lost a couple at one point for my driver's door (which takes six of the things), and used a couple of 4-inch zipties as a temporary substitute, which took some fiddling to get arranged. Eventually I got my hands on a used master switch panel that had a full set, giving me spares.

Here's a link to a "Standard Motor Products" version of the 85-96 style master panel - you can see the clips I'm referring to in two of the three pictures: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIpvOehI267gIVkMmUCR2L-gxsEAQYASABEgKUgfD_BwE

I've no idea if these clips can be sourced independently, but if you have a "mill supply store" around and have at least one of them still, you could see if they could match it to a known product. That, or buy a used panel on eBay and hope it comes with at least a couple clips (and then you have spare switches)...

That is exactly what I was referring to. I had thought about buying that new manufactured one from summit and returning without the clips hoping they wouldn't notice. I am thinking getting a used master panel might be the way to go.

If you mean the ones Rob referred to, good luck. I lost a few a while back and could not find any, anywhere. Then one day an 88XJ showed up at ly local parts yard. I grabbed all of the door switches with those pesky little hooks.

and then some....
Yeah I think that is going to be the way to go. Just find a used panel and hunt for the clips on it.

That is exactly what I was referring to. I had thought about buying that new manufactured one from summit and returning without the clips hoping they wouldn't notice. I am thinking getting a used master panel might be the way to go.

That is a crooked thing to do. Yeah, if Summit dont notice, then its resold to someone else, someone else that you screwed over. If they do notice, will you pay them back or simply lie and say the clips were missing when you got them?

I was going to offer you a spare I have for free, but no, not for you.

One thing I've noticed with those little clips is that over the years the tab that locks them into the panel compresses in and allows them to fall out. Since they're spring steel, bend that tab up a little the next time you're working on it to make it lock tighter into the panel itself. I did this the last time I had mine apart and it definitely helped.

Agree with Black1990Jeep that pulling a "buy/strip/return" on Summit is not good practice. Apart from buying a used panel and pulling clips from that, my only other suggestion is the one I mentioned above - if you have at least one clip, take it to a Napa, a "Mill Supply" store, or a fastener specialty store and see if they can match it. Someone has to make the things or the panels from Summit wouldn't come with them, and if they're made, they have their own part number. You just need to find out what that part number is.

That is a crooked thing to do. Yeah, if Summit dont notice, then its resold to someone else, someone else that you screwed over. If they do notice, will you pay them back or simply lie and say the clips were missing when you got them?
I was going to offer you a spare I have for free, but no, not for you.

Well said Black1990Jeep - couldn't quite believe he suggested that:sure:

Back