• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing/cutting off drop brackets

denverd1

NAXJA Forum User
my '98 came with drop brackets and a short arm lift. I'm looking at long arms and know I will have to cut off or remove the DBs.

Since I didn't put them on kinda curious whats behind there. will I have to plate an area? got the steel and the welder and enough bead laying skill to do the job. My stiffeners will go on next as I prep for crossmember/long arms/axle stretch etc.

Should probably just grab a grinder w cut off and start peeling it back, just curious what I might run into.

Drop brackets are pretty much bolt on, unless the previous owner tack welded to the frame somewhere. Unlikely, but if so, just grind off the welds.

I do remember that you do have to drill out the upper(?) stock threaded mount point, to install larger DB bolts. There are frame spacers too, to keep from crushing the frame rail.

This is best I can recall when I installed my DB's about 12 years ago. Search a Youtube video to see the DB installation process, and remove in reverse.

Its all bolt on...just installed some.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Cool

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Shouldn't I cut off the lower link mounts and smooth out the frame rail? Adding stiffeners but don't want lose strength

Shouldn't I cut off the lower link mounts and smooth out the frame rail? Adding stiffeners but don't want lose strength

Yes, you'll need to get them out of the way. StinkyFab did a great video on installing their longarms on youtube, shows cutting off the stock mounts.

Yes, you'll need to get them out of the way. StinkyFab did a great video on installing their longarms on youtube, shows cutting off the stock mounts.
Cool I'll look for it

Thers like 4 layers of twisted sheet metal to make up the lower control arm brackets.

I used sawzall, suicide wheel and flap disc. Mine are almost off but need some more smoothing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've got that much still to remove
faf6d47944013cc5c66cdfb470332c38.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back