• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear headrests

Agreen

NAXJA Forum User
Today I learned that you can get headrests on your back seat if you get the seats from an imported XJ. There were 2 of them at Cape Fear pick & pull in Wilmington NC.

They also had a
-76 J10 (which I pulled many parts from)
-87 Grand wagoneer with complete front/rear D44 axles
-about 15 XJ's
-about 10 ZJ's (one of which was a 98 limited)
-2 TJ's
-an 87 YJ

vkDpi5x

Today I learned that you can get headrests on your back seat if you get the seats from an imported XJ. There were 2 of them at Cape Fear pick & pull in Wilmington NC.

I need one of those. LOL.
Been modding a rear seat to put headrests on.
Using extra front seat headrests.
Still have a couple details to work out.
Wish NC was not so far from me. MLOL.

Yeah it's pretty important to me to have them. While we normally drive the modern vehicles, we do like to go overland camping with the kids, and they hate the back seat for that reason.

If anyone near me has leather and want to trade seat backs for one with headrests I'd be happy too. My seat is folded down 90% of the time.

So they're not actually leather. I really don't know much about overseas models, but of the 2 that I've seen now (a 2000 and a 1997) they both were vinyl seats. I *thought* it was leather at first too, but I unzipped the cover off and saw the white fuzzy backing.

Still cool though. I'm looking for some decent condition grey leather WJ front seats. Should compliment the grey rear seats nicely.

If anyone ever comes across another export rear seatback and is willing to grab it and ship to PA at my expense (plus for your trouble), send me a PM! I've spent hours searching (Ok, mostly on car-part.com) for an export model. My little ones are about to outgrow their regular carseats and move to boosters. I'm not really keen on doing a WJ or ZJ swap (though considered it).

My latest thought it to build a "rollbar" looking thing that attaches to the seat latch area and the upper seatbelt mount. Looks like that wouldn't be too hard to fabricate and be fairly strong. I could get proper padding or otherwise have a nice base for adding headrests. Could make it removable for large cargo I suppose. Thinking aloud...

I've also considered this:

https://www.car-seat.org/threads/retrofitting-headrests-on-bench-seats.199127/

Scroll down to where this guy pretty thoroughly explains how to swap the headrest parts from a Dodge Caravan / Plymouth Voyager / Chrysler T&C 3rd generation ('96 - 2000).

Back