• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stiff Steering Only when turning Left

FernGreen

NAXJA Forum User
So just got my Blue Top Steering Box bolted back in. The only issue now is that it feels like i have no power steering when i'm steering left. The steering feels good when turning right however. Does this sound like a box problem or pump? I was thinking maybe a clogged valve in the box?

So why was the steering box removed?

Could be trapped air. Have you had both front wheels jacked up and cycled the steering lock to lock thirty times? Is the fluid level in the reservoir OK? Are there bubbles in the fluid after cycling the steering? If so repeat cycling the steering until there are no more bubbles.

I'm not sure if a flapping internal hose or crushed hard line would affect the steering force in only one turn of direction.

While the Jeep is jacked up, disconnect the drag link at the pitman arm and cycle the steering manually from lock to lock by pulling and pushing on the drag link. If it feels equal in force you don't have a binding problem in the ball joints.

Check that your tire pressures are equal on both front tires.

If you are certain the system has been properly bled, I guess the steering box needs further investigation.

So why was the steering box removed?
It was removed because my original box was leaking out of the output shaft seal. So far i've sent this box back 3 times for leaking problems but Blue Top then realized that the box i sent them had a bad housing so the last time i sent it back they replaced the housing with an older style housing that uses what i believe is a double lip output shaft seal. Now the box doesn't leak out of the seal but it seams to have sitffness and significantly resistant when turning left. The steering feels normal when turning right.

Could be trapped air. Have you had both front wheels jacked up and cycled the steering lock to lock thirty times? Is the fluid level in the reservoir OK? Are there bubbles in the fluid after cycling the steering? If so repeat cycling the steering until there are no more bubbles.
I did have it jacked up on jackstands and had the ignition unplugged and while the engine was cranking i turned the steering lock to lock. Once i got most of the air out, i started it up and turned it lock to lock while still on the jackstands until i did not see anymore air bubbles in the reservoir.

I'm not sure if a flapping internal hose or crushed hard line would affect the steering force in only one turn of direction.
The hoses are brand new and the pressure & return are not crushed.

While the Jeep is jacked up, disconnect the drag link at the pitman arm and cycle the steering manually from lock to lock by pulling and pushing on the drag link. If it feels equal in force you don't have a binding problem in the ball joints.
Would it be the same to disconnect the drag link and then use the steering wheel to rotate the steering gear instead. The ball joints and axle u'joints have less then 200 miles on them and they're genuine spicer brand for both the BJs and u joints. I'm not saying i've eliminated them but when i did put the knuckles back on the knuckles rotated smoothly.

Check that your tire pressures are equal on both front tires.
The tire pressure is equal

If you are certain the system has been properly bled, I guess the steering box needs further investigation.
I'm thinking maybe a clogged valve causing the counterclockwise rotation to be resistant to movement due to the valve not opening? I'll email Blue Top and see what they say on monday.

It sounds like you've done everything you can do without dismantling the steering box.
Disconnecting the drag link was just to prove you had free oscillation of the knuckles, which you have.

I have not experienced the following problems personally, but these are my guesses as to what the problem could be.

1) Fractured torsion bar on the input shaft, It allows torque in one direction but not in the other. The spool valve only moves to direct pressure to one side of the piston.
2) Bent sector shaft, with the same bearings it got bent with. It can move sufficiently in one direction, but in the other it is binding.
3) A problem with a seal on the spool valve so pressure is leaking to the return line.

It's just a theory.

Definitely call/email Blue Top. Don't take the box apart while you still have an opportunity for a replacement or refund.

Back