• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Knuckles - Universal fit..??

89 and earlier outer knuckles were 2 piece
90 and up TJ/XJ/YJ/ZJ are all the same
WJ knuckles use different steering attachments, brakes and hubs
and I'm sure the new TK ones are different too

Dana 30's

There are low pinion, high pinion, and vacuum disconnect housings.

There was a change in the lower ball joint in 95/96. The hubs, discs and brakes are different, I think starting in 90 and go through various configurations.

90+ aren't all the same. I know the knuckles on my 1994 ZJ Dana 30 are different than some other Dana 30's newer than 1990. i.e. there are at least two styles of one piece knuckle which are the 1990+ knuckles used.

The Dana 30 knuckles in a CJ are different, as well. One way to upgrade the XJ D30, is to put CJ D30 outer "C's" on the XJ housing--now you can use D44 outer stuff.

xjbubba said:
The Dana 30 knuckles in a CJ are different, as well. One way to upgrade the XJ D30, is to put CJ D30 outer "C's" on the XJ housing--now you can use D44 outer stuff.

Although the outer C from a cj dana 30 won't fit on an inner C from any other Jeep Dana 30.

Well, I meant to say put CJ inner "C's" onto the XJ D30 axle housing. I have not done this, but did read a write-up on doing it. Seems the XJ D30 axle housing OD is the same as the CJ housing, allowing you to press the CJ "C's" onto the XJ housing.

Yeah, and then you end up getting custom axleshafts, since the knuckle sits in a different location on the housing (the shaft length is incorrect).

ren said:
Yeah, and then you end up getting custom axleshafts, since the knuckle sits in a different location on the housing (the shaft length is incorrect).

i think the two wheel drive knuckles on the xj are the same. at least the jeep dealership told me they were the same part number. n e way i damaged oneof my knuckles, and was looking to replace it with a 2 wd knuckle that a buddy had. havnt got around to comparing them yet

Back