• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 donor for a 96?

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 need some lovin and needs a new head gasket and some other minor things.

I found a 89 for sale on Craigslist for $350, curious if it would be good to have a Renix donor for a later 96 Cherokee?

Is the older engine swappable to the newer HO Cherokees, if so what's needed to be done?

Any advice on this would be great.

Well, you can put a Renix in an OBDII XJ. Can't think of a single reason why you would want to, but it can be done.

You would use all of the sensors from the 96. However, the ECU/PCM will be expecting inputs from an engine with different specs, especially in the cam profile.

You would have to have the later intake/exhaust, no EGR in 96, different throttle body in the 96.

4.0 specs:

4.0L I6 EFI "Power Tech" - 177 hp @ 4750 rpm, 220 ft lb @ 4000 rpm - used 87-90

4.0L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO" (High Output) - 190 hp @ 4750 rpm, 220 ft lb @ 4,000 rpm - used in 91-95 and updated in 96-01 to 225 ft lb torque @ 3000 rpm (00-01 models use a distributor-less ignition system)

I needed some body panels, and possibly an engine donor. Wasn't sure if it was possible to take the Renix and adapt it to HO or not.

I'll just look for my years engine then.

There was a 99 engine for sale with only 75k on the clock. But the bastard never replied back to emails/phone call once I asked if I could come check it out.

Is that legal? I thought if you replaced the engine it had to be the same year or newer than the year the vehicle was manufactured. But then again, who's gonna get under your hood and look.

I believe the requirements are state by state, at least for now.

"better to keep the devil you know, than one you don't".
Unless the '89 engine was replaced within the last 50,000 miles, it's probably in much worse condition than your '96. I'd say keep the '96 and do a head job. Probably cheaper in the long run.
And I'm pretty sure the "same year or newer" is a Fed requirement; although, an older block can be configured to the year it is replacing.

it would be a good swap if you where rebuilding your 96 and boring out the cylinders. the old renix block is said to have thicker cylinder walls.

you should be able to do a short block swap with the 89 without issue, but anything from the head up and the electronics, you will need to swap over the 96 parts.

I've been contemplating between changing out the head gasket or just getting a good working engine. I emailed the guy again today with the 99 engine, it's only got 75k on it and mine's got 175k so I figure it'd be a good swap for only like $300 that he was asking but hasn't responded to my email yet. =/

What other minor fixes should I do while I've got the engine out to put in a new head gasket to help it last a little longer? Probably gonna do all new gaskets (exhaust,intake,valve etc) anything else to look for that would cost too much? Not looking to spend a crapload on an engine rebuild since this is only used for winter driving and weekend fun. That and being out of work and limited income makes it a little tougher.

Ok so the guy finally emailed me back. The other 99 sold , but he has another 99 for sale. Doesn't know how many miles as he couldn't get the odometer to light up... says it needs a valve cover, distributor and intake. He's asking $200 and says he'd write and sign a paper guaranteeing that it runs.

Think this would be a good deal and how hard would it be to get the dist. and intake?

Thanks

Ok so the guy finally emailed me back. The other 99 sold , but he has another 99 for sale. Doesn't know how many miles as he couldn't get the odometer to light up... says it needs a valve cover, distributor and intake. He's asking $200 and says he'd write and sign a paper guaranteeing that it runs.

Think this would be a good deal and how hard would it be to get the dist. and intake?

Thanks

Use your 96 parts, they are both OBDII.

So I can use the 99 engine, and reuse the parts from my 96 on the 99. I could get the 99 intake and get some more ponies right? Would I need any different wiring or just the same from the 96 with a 99 intake?

Both are OBDII, so you should be able to use most of the acc from the 99

Ok, just wanna be sure before I buy it. I can reuse the intake from my 96 and everything else then.

Someday i'd like to get a 99 intake as well for a few more ponies.

My 96 need some lovin and needs a new head gasket and some other minor things.

I found a 89 for sale on Craigslist for $350, curious if it would be good to have a Renix donor for a later 96 Cherokee?

Is the older engine swappable to the newer HO Cherokees, if so what's needed to be done?

Any advice on this would be great.

Which is it? '89 or '99===apples and oranges regarding recommendations.

Best thing to do is rebuild yours. Have a shop do the headwork if needed, but then replace the intake and exhaust manifolds during reassembly. That will give you a few ponies and you'll have the same basic engine as the 99. I would not swap a mystery motor unless there was something known to be really wrong.

Which is it? '89 or '99===apples and oranges regarding recommendations.

He has a 96, original question was about buy and install an 89, decided to go with a 99.

Back