• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric fan, is a temp switch necessary?

xj2win

NAXJA Forum User
I've read a lot of threads about switching to electric fans, and am contemplating doing so myself. I'm wondering if I need a thermo switch, or should I just wire up the fans so that they turn on and off with the ignition?

A thermo switch isnt "necessary" per sey ... but it will help your from having to remember to flip a switch to turn on the fan(s). You can wire it to be on when the ignition is on, but then it would run all the time even when it doesnt need to.

If i were you i would wire the fan(s) to come one with a thermo switch, or wire them to use a manual switch. Either way though, make sure that the fan(s) fan only get power when the ignition is on.

When i did my install i used a manual switch. The only problem is that when my GF drives my Jeep she often forgets to keep an eye on the gauges and turn the switch to low or high speed respectfully.

Just wire it up with the other stock efan. They'll come on when they need to and cut off when they need to. I did that on my old jeep

Back