• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Crank NO START

coreyt

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 Jeep cherokee that will Crank but not start. the first thing I tried is shooting a little starter fluid in the intake trying to rule out a fuel problem, I also checked for fuel at the valve on the fuel rail fuel did shoot out. the car did not start.

second thing I tested is all the fuses in both the power distribution center and the pas. side box - all checked out good.

third thing i checked is the crank position sensor, (I have 2 jeeps and was able to replace with a known working part. this didnt fix the problem.

Fourth thing I tried is swapped in a known good coil rail wich did not solve the problem, I also tested for spark by grounding a plug to the block and turned the jeep over, NO SPARK.

fifth thing i tried was the ASD Relay which seems to be working correctly, terminal 30 and 85 have power (which is the same reading i got from working jeep).

Sixth thing i tried was testing for power at the coil connector. on the green wire i get voltage, I can hear the ASD relay click as i stop cranking and the voltage goes away.

Seventh thing I tested the PCM by switching them into opposite cars, pcm started the second jeep for about three seconds (second jeep has security system) but the first jeep did not start.

at this point i'm having a hard time getting any more information on the starting system, I would like to know the different components that could cause this system to fail. I'm assuming now that there is a wiring/short issue as I've ruled out most of the major players. maybe someone can send me the diagnostics for this system. or wiring diagram. I purchased a mechanics manual from ebay and unfortunately it doesn't give any diagnostics only explains what each component does (seems kinda useless)

a little more info on the jeep, I have no codes firing except for p0140 which has been firing for a while, one of the other things i've done is replace or clean all the wires and contacts to and from the battery to the pdc, ground wires to the body, block etc.

this was my very first car and i've owned it over a decade, although I own other cars this one is special to me, any help getting it fixed would be greatly appreciated.

...... tested the PCM by switching them into opposite cars, pcm started the second jeep for about three seconds (second jeep has security system) but the first jeep did not start.

If you have an XJ Cherokee that has the Factory installed SKIM anti-theft system, and you swap in a PCM that has not been programmed for anti-theft, the SKIM will lock-up the PCM, requiring a trip to the Dealership to un-lock.

As suggested check the Crank and Cam sensor plugs for corrosion or pushed back wire pins, and test their continuity to the PCM. Inspect the Cam sensor for damage. Spend $7.95 for genuine Jeep Service Manual ( www.PacificCoastManuals.com )
and perform the sensor and circuit testing outlined in the diagnostics.

Back