NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 11th, 2005, 12:54
NAXJA Forum User

Cooper Discoverer ATR

Has anyone used these tires? I am considering buying a set of 4. I like the looks and tread pattern on them. I also have a set of Cooper Weathermaster ST2's on the wifes car. They are incredible.
Just looking for feedback on the Cooper tires. Particularly the Disc ATR. But any other thoughts on Coopers are welcome.
Thanks folks.
Old November 11th, 2005, 14:46
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Cooper Discoverer ATR

I'd stay away from Cooper. Do a yahoo search and you'll see that they have had issues in the past. Something about putting chicken bones and all kinds of trash in with the rubber!
Old November 11th, 2005, 15:41
Lifetime NAXJA Member

I would buy Coopers before I'd buy Michelin, Goodyear or BFG. I haven't tried the Discoverer ATR, because my original Discoverers lasted so long. Good traction is a variety of conditions (including New England snow), good ride and handling, and superlative tread wear.

For less than Dunlop Radial Rovers of the same size.

I have so many used tires around here that I may never need to buy another set new but, if I do (probably for the wife's XJ), they will be Cooper. Just haven't decided which model.

Owner/Driver/Enabler of "The Fleet"
Self-appointed President-for-Life of the World MJ Preservation Society
Old November 11th, 2005, 15:53
NAXJA Forum User

I'm running studded Cooper winters on my XJ and Cooper all-seasons on my daughter's XJ. They are wearing well, and didn't take too much weight to balance. Good tire at a decent price. The all-season tires aren't anywhere near as good as real winter tires for ice and snow, but that goes for any brand.
Old November 11th, 2005, 15:53
NAXJA Forum User

I haven't used the ATR's but have, and will always buy Coopers cause they are made in America, and the last set of Discoverers went 92K miles.
I may be old fashioned but I like stuff that is made here.
Old November 11th, 2005, 16:13
NAXJA Forum User

I don't have experience with the Discoverer ATR's but I did buy a set of AT's last year and I loved them. They hadle great in the snow and wet conditions and give a very smooth ride. I had about 20K miles on them and they still looked pretty much brand new.

The only reason I don't have them anymore is because I got a set of larger tires for free. But the Coopers will be going on my mothers explorer and she'll definetely get more than 50K out of them.

Next set of tires I buy will probably be Cooper's again. I've never heard of any bad experiences with them. And if they are putting chicken bones in their tires, maybe the other companies should too, they're obviously doing something right.
Old November 12th, 2005, 03:25
NAXJA Forum User

I have Discover h/t on my 2000 xj and love them...getting a little slick in raining weather but also have 40,000 miles on them and plenty to go.

I had looked at Dunlops before getting these and $ for $ are a great deal
Old November 12th, 2005, 03:57
NAXJA Forum User

I have run these Coopers..........
Discoverer Radial SST (mud)
Discoverer LT (a/t)
and
Cobras (street)

Up till the tires I now have on both the XJ's, Cooper's were the ONLY tires I have run in the last 15 years and have never had any problems with any of them. They are #1 in my book.
Only reason I switched was due to "limited funds" when I got the tires I have now. The BFG a/t ko's were 375.00 with TJ wheels & the Pathfinder a/t's were free along with some more TJ wheels. Both sets had less than 4000 miles on 'em when i got them.
Old November 12th, 2005, 06:48
NAXJA Forum User

My family has bought Cooper and Mastercraft tires from a little mom and pop store where I live for as long as I can remember. Thats basically the only tire I've ever driven on. I got bit by the bug and put some BFG A/Ts on a 1999 Sonoma 4x4 I had, but went back to my old favorite (Cooper Discoverer S/T) after about a year.
My Dad has owned nothing but MasterCraft Courser A/T or Cooper Discoverer STTs for trucks and the cars always get something from the Cooper LifeLiner series.
I grew up on a 500 acre dairy farm so the tires were definitely used and abused and we've never had any problems with them.

I'm just waiting for the factory Firestone Steeltexs to wear out on the Silverado so I can replace them with some Coopers. I am leaning towards the A/T or ATR since we don't farm anymore and I don't need anything as aggressive as the ST or STT.
Old November 12th, 2005, 06:52
NAXJA Forum User

I sold my brother's Cooper Discoverer A/Ts cause he wanted larger tires on his TJ. So, I gave him ProComp A/Ts off my XJ and bought ProComp M/Ts . Cooper makes tires for Procomp using Procomp's specs and ProcComp makes a tire that wears well. Cooper has a reputation as a good tire.
Old November 14th, 2005, 09:19
NAXJA Forum User

here's the article:
http://www.swindolllaw.com/news/CooperTire.htm

maybe they've changed today
Old November 14th, 2005, 11:17
NAXJA Forum User

you realize that article is over 5 years old?
Old November 14th, 2005, 11:54
NAXJA Forum User

Yes, I have read through all those articles. That was awhile ago and any major manufacturer that wishes to stay in biz will and almost always does alter its processes to stay out of that sort of trouble again. I have a set of Coopers on the wifes car now. Snow tires, but nevertheless, they are very impressive. Plus reading other reviews online, I am very sure that they are a solid and reputable company. I will probably go ahead and get them.
Old November 15th, 2005, 09:39
NAXJA Forum User

Try Mastercraft Courser C/T's. Good in rain and excellent in snow. Have them on my 2000XJ and the wife's Hemi Ram w/ 20" wheels. Courser tires always wear and handle real well. I hate BADYEAR tires. Have had 3 sets belts have seperated in all sets.
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:34
NAXJA Forum User

I believe that Cooper and Mastercraft are both the same tires, I know that the Mastercrafts just put on my dads van look just like the coopers taken off.