NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > Land Use / Off Topic and other Forums > Non-Tech / Off Topic
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Non-Tech / Off Topic The popular Non-Tech Forum. NO SPAM at all. Period.

Old January 20th, 2004, 13:03
NAXJA Member #769

Morton Buildings

Does anyone have any experience with Morton Buildings - www.mortonbuildings.com? I am planning to have a fairly sizable garage built within the next year and it looks like Morton has some pretty nice stuff. I haven't seen any prices though. I want something that is going to last and isn't going to look like crap in 5 years. We have a fairly nice house so I don't want to build anything that would take away from the house or annoy the neighbors. So, has anyone dealt with Morton? How was the experience - good, bad, etc? Would you use them again?

Thanks - Scott
Old January 20th, 2004, 13:14
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Morton Buildings

Haven't used morton, but we have used cleary. I'm pleased with it so far. It's been 5 years.

Sean
Old January 21st, 2004, 10:28
NAXJA Forum User

A friend has used Morton buildings and was very pleased with the entire experience. They got the building permit and took care of all the other small detailes of the project. He just told them where he wanted it and they done the rest. They are the most expensive builder that I got estimates from. I had a local builder build my 30x40 but wasn't very pleased with the hassle and bad quality that was involved. In retrospect, I should have saved up more $$$ and went with Morton or Cleary!
Old January 21st, 2004, 11:05
NAXJA Forum User

Haven't had the pleasure myself (yet), but I used to live very near Morton, IL and ALL the farmers in central IL have Morton Buildings. There are even a good number of businesses using Morton buildings as their structure. I've been in quite a number of them and they are very nice.
Others may be too - just wanted to say that to have the degree of acceptance they do amongst a group like farmers that talks a lot, they must be doing things right.
Old January 21st, 2004, 11:20
NAXJA Member #769

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar1
I had a local builder build my 30x40 but wasn't very pleased with the hassle and bad quality that was involved. In retrospect, I should have saved up more $$$ and went with Morton or Cleary!
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong)
just wanted to say that to have the degree of acceptance they do amongst a group like farmers that talks a lot, they must be doing things right.
A farmer friend has told me that Morton is a rip-off and I should get a local builder to put one up that will be just as nice for 2/3 of the cost. I think that could very well be true but if I have a problem 20 years down the road, I'm sure that Morton will still be around. I doubt the same would be true of a local builder. The way that I am leaning right now is that Morton is worth the extra money based on reputation and known quality.

I hadn't really planned on building something quite this soon but garage space is becoming quite an issue lately.
Old January 21st, 2004, 12:35
NAXJA Forum User

I heard a radio commentary talking about a very similar industry - steel buildings.
They had some very practical ideas when it comes to protecting yourself.
Here's a part of the article from www.troubleshooter.com about General Steel:
---
I have found that lies run rampant in the industry. When shopping for a steel building, it doesn’t matter if you are dealing with a so-called "manufacturer" – the only important thing is that you protect yourself.

Never send a deposit until all terms and conditions have been spelled out in writing. That means the entire building package with all materials (including all accessories), designed to meet building department requirements in your area.. One common trick is to sell "buildings" that are nothing more than a steel box. Then, after sending a deposit, you are told of the many "extras" you must buy to make the project complete. If you refuse to buy the extra (at outrageous prices) the company refuses to ship the building. Consumers usually end up losing their deposits and in some cases are sued for "breach of contract".
Old January 21st, 2004, 17:36
I have not Confirmed, or I used a BAD email Addy

I've been shopping for a steel building and have been going through the games these places play. I love salesmen they try so hard with all there little saying and specials but it dosent work well on me. I had one guy with a "special" for a good price but I wanted him to fax me all the info and such well after 2 atemp on jis part to fax we called him back and he said he couldn't fax me anything till we have a confirmed order. Cand you belive that BS. I'm going to be building at least a 40 x 80 so it aint going to be cheep.