• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Silverstar bulbs

XJguy

NAXJA Forum User
Installed some Projector lenses and Sylvania Silverstar H4 motorcycle bulbs a few days ago. Very cool effect. Have not taken them to see how well they light up the road yet, but judging by the intensity of the white light they project I think it will be a world of a difference.

Anyone know per chance what the difference is with a motorcyle bulb and an automotive bulb? (Sylvania has the bulbs listed for motorcycle use only, but it was the only H4 Silverstars they have so I got them anyway.)

projectoron.jpg

XJguy

Considering I ride a bike 95% of the time....no difference in the bulbs that I'm aware of. The difference is in the reflector. Unless the bulb in questionhas a screen embedded for the cuttoff. Bikes lights are "supposed" to have a sharp cutoff which basically points the light directly to the front, cutoff about hood level of a car and pointed to the right somewhat.

OK, did some research. The motorcycle only label is sort of a misnomer I would think. Basically it is supposed to mean the bulb is a heavy duty one made to endure more vibrations than normal.

Sarge

Last edited:
So the motocycle bulbs may be a pretty good thing for an off-road truck, eh? (Yeah yeah yeah, I know this is the "street forum") Though I have never heard of a headlight dieing by getting shook too much off-road, I suppose it could happen... are the motocycle bulbs more expensive?

I thought the Motorcycle label was becasue in this country H4's are only DOT approved for motorcycles.
Hasn't stopped me from running them on my XJ for over 4 years.

Bones :skull1:

I put a car bulb in my bike and it only lasted about 200 miles. I think the bike bulbs are stronger based on this but it could just be a bad bulb.

Bright Lights

Just ordered (another) set of H4 bulbs & lenses...this time I went with IPF lenses and 170w/100w bulbs. I also ordered an IPF relay harness to feed them... I've been OK with stock wiring up to 100/80 but not going to tempt fate beyond that. I'm also gonna replace the OEM battery cables/alternator wire with 1/0 welding leads.

I hope 100w low doesn't get too hot and crack the lenses...the IPF book says that the hi beams should only be used when the vehicle is moving. (these are H4 bulbs for their 930 SuperRally lamps)

I will stick by my oft repeated statement that 'good' headlights are the best driveability improvement I have ever done to my Jeep.

This is a Test.

I'd like to see an objective test of the various aftermarket headlamp replacements out there.

Specifically, I'd like to do a Hella vs IPF (e-code not DOT) using the same bulbs...to compare patterns/range. Then test the intensity/usefulness of the various bulb$$... Silver Star, IPF J, Hella Xenon, and the standby 60w/55w halogens.

Maybe for grins test a set of the HID replacements, though IIRC these are only HID on low-beam?

and for a comparo, have a car out there with HID lights, to see if us non-HID folks can even get close...

If Hella will loan me a set of HID aux lamps (one euro beam/one pencil beam, thanks) I'll be glad to do a long-term test on those :)

Bones said:
I thought the Motorcycle label was becasue in this country H4's are only DOT approved for motorcycles.
Hasn't stopped me from running them on my XJ for over 4 years.

Bones :skull1:

Huuuhhhh? Sorry dude, but H4's are in all kinds of vehicles. Matter of fact most bikes still run sealed beam units and a popular upgrade is to switch in an H4 version.

In all honesty tho the reflector makes the most difference. As an example I currently ride a Honda Magna and the headlight (an H4 unit) stinks. It has a high powered bulb in it (90W low beam) and is still weak seeming. The exact same bulb in a friends Blackbird will toast a deer at 100 yards.

Sarge

Answer (partial) to Woody

Installed Sylvania Brightlites? replacement 6054's and there was slight improvement over stock - not much
Installed IPF lenses and "Magic" bulbs in my 89 XJ Much improved over Sylvania
Installed Car Shop? headlite harness; again big improvement
Magic bulb burned out - 3 years - $40 replacement
3 months -second Magic bulb burned out

Replaced with Global Premier (EBAY) XD-5 5100K lumens bulbs for $20 pair. Result - big improvement over Magic bulbs L-R comparison on garage door
So my vote is IPF (or Hella) lenses with the XD-5 5100K bulbs
and a harness - you will notice the difference!!!!

Well, I'd be reinventing the wheel if I tried to conduct experiments... Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute's Lighting Research Center has done a bunch, and there are a pile of SAE papers written to show for it. Very good reading with lots of insight :rolleyes:

www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/transportation/index.asp

While these experiments dont offer a direct comparison between 'bulb A' and 'bulb B' they offer up some comparison between HID and halogen...using existing european spec lens designs

I haven't got my IPF stuff yet (on a slow boat from OZ?) but I expect I'll be satisfied once it arrives. I did chicken out and back off the 170/100 bulbs though, went with 145/90.

My usage has found the IPF J bulbs to be about equal to Hella 100/80w halogen in 'perceived' performance...but at three+ times the cost of the Hellas ($ 75/pr vs 22/pr, shipped). Mine didn't last 3 years either...more like 1 year, but I normally get somewhat less than that out of the Hella bulbs.

I may check out those Global Premiers...hard to go wrong with $20/pr...and Advance Auto has Silverstar bulbs on sale/rebate for approx $30/pr. Of the 3 sets of E-codes we are using, one has a set of DOT approved/store bought halogen 60/55, and they need replaced with something better.

FWIW most of my night driving is done on unlit rural roads, where distance as well as periphial illumination is important (lots of deer). NC is using a lot of reflective thermoplastic roadway striping (better than paint with glass beads) as well as reflectors along the centerline...so 'seeing the road' isn't as much an issue as seeing the beasts. On the few roads lacking reflectors, the extra light output and e-code pattern is appreciated. I don't drive my Jeep at extra-legal speeds, so that helps my reaction time as well.

Re: Answer (partial) to Woody

I have FX 5000K from Global Premier. It's awesome. Even there new XD7 5800K from him. :sunshine:

I am considering get XD7 for my jeep and I just upgraded relay harness for the headlight. I am using Hella Vision Plus headlight on my XJ.

Here what look like on my vw jetta with 5000K bulbs.

DSCN0161.JPG

DSCN0162.JPG

DSCN0165.JPG

rsalemi said:
Replaced with Global Premier (EBAY) XD-5 5100K lumens bulbs for $20 pair. Result - big improvement over Magic bulbs L-R comparison on garage door
So my vote is IPF (or Hella) lenses with the XD-5 5100K bulbs
and a harness - you will notice the difference!!!!

I was told by the guys at ARB that it's easy to get a higher color temp simply by filter more of the light form one end of the spectrum out. This leads to less visable light but a higher color rating.

I agree with you. I am happy with 5000K and it doesn't affect my visualibility during night driving. Only i had problem with 5000K was the bad weather during heavy rain. It gave me hard to see the strip or refector on the street/highway. That's why i added fog light with osram all-weather 100watts helped lot during bad weather. That's all.

Oh by the way, My vw jetta has 2" lowered and it probably reason have hard time during heavy rain in night time. One of my friend who has '93 XJ Jeep and also had 5000K bulbs on his jeep. I rode on his jeep during bad weather and it seems superior crystal clear visibility than on my vw jetta.

Weasel said:
I was told by the guys at ARB that it's easy to get a higher color temp simply by filter more of the light form one end of the spectrum out. This leads to less visable light but a higher color rating.

Last edited:
I dunno what has been wrong with your magic J Ipf bulbs but I have mine in going on over 2 1/2 years. Maye you just got some bad bulbs or something.

Re: Bright Lights

woody said:
Just ordered (another) set of H4 bulbs & lenses...this time I went with IPF lenses and 170w/100w bulbs. I also ordered an IPF relay harness to feed them... I've been OK with stock wiring up to 100/80 but not going to tempt fate beyond that. I'm also gonna replace the OEM battery cables/alternator wire with 1/0 welding leads.

I hope 100w low doesn't get too hot and crack the lenses...the IPF book says that the hi beams should only be used when the vehicle is moving. (these are H4 bulbs for their 930 SuperRally lamps)

I will stick by my oft repeated statement that 'good' headlights are the best driveability improvement I have ever done to my Jeep.

Woody,
I'm looking at Hella's "street legal" Vision Plus headlight replacements for $35 each and I saw PIAA 5000K H-4 bulbs (60W/55W) for $70/pair in 4WheelParts. What about this harness? Is it only needed if you are going to run hi-wattage bulbs? I've heard that having each bulb on it's own relay is one way of boosting power to the bulb.
I presently have Sylvania Silverstars in my 2000XJ and they are much better than stock,...but really feel "blind" when a vehicle with HID's runs next to me........To damn broke/cheap to cough-up $500 for HID system
BLUTO :)

Re: Bright Lights

I have no experience with the Vision Plus lenses...just with the 'illegal' ECode (European Spec and Oregon DOT)approved ones. the Ecodes have a sharp low-beam cutoff line that -if properly aimed- is oncoming traffic friendly.
I like the 100/80 Hella halogen bulbs since I have found thm to be a good trade-off for brightness & bulb life.

The 'harness' steals raw power off your alternator/battery and feeds the lights...you plug in the harness to your OEM light circuit so your dimmer works the hi & low switching, but the headlamps get full juice w/o all the OEM wire restriction/voltage loss. I think even with OEM sealed beams, the harness would be an improvement. I wouldn't go beyond 100w with OEM wiring...even then it's a lot of current going through smallish wires up into the cabin.

Surf up www.rallylights.com and invest $100 in a set of Hella ECodes with your favorite bulbs. I like 100-80 Halogen, but the xenons are good too (skip on the store-bought Vision Plus) I am a cheap bastard...and if I didn't think the E codes were good, I wouldn't have bought them for the kinfolk.

Woody

BLUTO said:
Woody,
I'm looking at Hella's "street legal" Vision Plus headlight replacements for $35 each and I saw PIAA 5000K H-4 bulbs (60W/55W) for $70/pair in 4WheelParts. What about this harness? Is it only needed if you are going to run hi-wattage bulbs? I've heard that having each bulb on it's own relay is one way of boosting power to the bulb.
I presently have Sylvania Silverstars in my 2000XJ and they are much better than stock,...but really feel "blind" when a vehicle with HID's runs next to me........To damn broke/cheap to cough-up $500 for HID system
BLUTO :)

i have the vision plus with silverstars, but i think woody is right go with the e codes, not much diff in pattern.

No, I have not had relays or fuse blown for 2 years on one of my vehicle, 1 and half year on VW Jetta GLi (sold couple weeks ago) and I am working homemade wiring harness to handle Rich (xenonmods.com) Plasma xenon bulbs with 90/100 wattage. I ordered last week, Rich said Plasma bulbs were out of stock and i should get these by tomorrow or monday.

tnomud said:
Has anyone here ever had problems killing relays or fuses with 100W low beams?

Back