• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moab in May

MoabXJeeper

NAXJA Member #1398
Hey folks!

Me, my dad, and a buddy of mine are planning on going to Moab sometime early May, probably the first weekend. We're not sure on exact dates or anything yet, but I'd like to spend at least 3 full days there. Trails that have been talked about are Metal Masher, Steel Bender, Hell's Revenge, and possibly The Pickle and/or Rusty Nail depending on who goes.

Anybody interested in joining?

-Josh

I spoke to my group and we're good to go for that weekend. :)

Plan on my Jeep, my brother-in-law's Jeep, and most likely my sister and her husband will be renting a jeep and coming as well.

Any further on these dates? I am asking after looking at another thread today where an effort will be made to reopen the Big Ridge trail coming down off of the top south of Hans Flat to the Poison Spring/Dirty Devil River Crossing. They are talking May 9-10, technically the second weekend in May.

Any further on these dates? I am asking after looking at another thread today where an effort will be made to reopen the Big Ridge trail coming down off of the top south of Hans Flat to the Poison Spring/Dirty Devil River Crossing. They are talking May 9-10, technically the second weekend in May.

We are planning on leaving Thursday, May 2nd. We probably won't get down there until late though, so we'll just set up camp and crash that night. We'll wheel Friday and Saturday, and might do something easy on Sunday. One of the people in our group has to take off Sunday night. Both me and my dad have Monday off, so depending on what's going on, we may stay until then, or just take off Sunday evening with them.

How long are you planning on staying Israel?

I have Thursday off, but my wife doesn't so we'll head down when she gets home from work. We probably will head back Sunday afternoon.

Moab sounds fun, it's my bday weekend. We will see If can swing it with the woman. Family is ready for some vacation i am thinking.. maybe just me ;) will see about coming down that sounds fun. This is a maybe from me pending on the financials.

Moab sounds fun, it's my bday weekend. We will see If can swing it with the woman. Family is ready for some vacation i am thinking.. maybe just me ;) will see about coming down that sounds fun. This is a maybe from me pending on the financials.

Dude, it's your birthday! That means the ball is in your court. :party:

Hey, I'll be living in moab by that time and I would be down to join a run or two. 35s, locked and armor. The pickle is a blast and rusty nail is just good old fun. Shoot me a pm with more details as we get closer.

That would be sweet if you could join us, the more the merrier! I'd really like to try Rusty Nail, I hear it's pretty rough. I've got pretty much the same set up as you. What would you say are the minimum specs to get through?

35's can make it through I think. There is only one obstacle I can think of that would be "really hard." There are a handful of freaky obstacles, but not necessarily hard. Most are just moab hard. Have you run pritchett, behind the rocks or hunter canyon? Golden spike/gold bar are just playground stuff for me.

I haven't personally, but we've run both Pritchett and Behind the Rocks in my dad's Jeep. The only difference between the two is that he runs 33's and I'm on 35's. Oh yeah and that mine runs. Ha

Re: Re: Moab in May

That would be sweet if you could join us, the more the merrier! I'd really like to try Rusty Nail, I hear it's pretty rough. I've got pretty much the same set up as you. What would you say are the minimum specs to get through?

Rusty nail is tore up FYI. Last week the second obstacle owned 3 extremely built rigs. One on 40's we tried everything short of rolling to make it and lost. So my opinion right now, don't waste your time

Rusty nail is tore up FYI. Last week the second obstacle owned 3 extremely built rigs. One on 40's we tried everything short of rolling to make it and lost. So my opinion right now, don't waste your time

Good to know, thanks Derek.

Well, Rusty Nail looks like it's out of the question. I speak for my dad and myself when I say I probably wouldn't want to do it anyway after I realized that you have to come back through Gold Bar Rim. We're pretty well sick of that trail.

We were thinking of running Metal Masher one day (if that's what the rest of the group wants to do), any other other trails anyone is wanting to run?

Also, we'll be camping at Sand Flats. We hope to get there around 9 or 10pm on that Thursday. My buddy seemed to think they might charge $10/night for each vehicle even though the Jeep would be on the trailer. Is that really the case?

This should be a fun trip, hope to see everyone that says they'll come!

Sand flats now charges 3 extra per night for the trailer. Discovered this last week also lol

This is still happening just so everyone knows. We're going to (hopefully) be camped across the street from the Slickrock bike trail up on Sand Flats. I think most people are going down Thursday (tomorrow) and coming back Sunday night.

Back