• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake & hazard lights out

tvisXJ

NAXJA Forum User
87' XJ 5spd w/ CC

Just found out the other night, while backing into a space, that my brake lights don't work. Also my hazard lights haven't worked for a while. They're on the same circuit. Now I'm wondering how long I've been without brake lights :(. Knowing that they're on the same circuit, I checked a few things.

Brake/Hazard fuse: I checked it and it is fine. I even checked for voltage at either side of the fuse, with the fuse in, and both contacts are getting power.

Brake light switch: The wires and connector are all snug. On top of that, I disconnected the plug and jumped the wires. Still nothing.

Ground: I checked the ground behind the left tail light/interior panel. It is fine.

What else can I do? Between this brake/hazard light BS, my D35 crapping out, and my decent looking coolant bottle randomly cracking and pissing out coolant all over.... I'm about ready to off this Jeep.

I am going to say its your signal light switch.

Turn signals work. Hazard light switch? I checked the brake light switch as specified by someones post I read while searching. "Pull the connector, and jump the pins with a paper clip or something". Still nothing.

Last edited:
the hazzards and brake lights run through the signal light switch, something is probably broken in the switch.

Is there supposed to be power at the switch from one of the 2 wires? One is blue, and one is black. When I jump the wires together (simulating the switch) I still get nothing.

Where does the power go from the fuse panel?

Fixed it. ... and it only took an hour each day for a week

Someone had ghetto rigged a wire on the back of the fuse panel that came loose. My guess is that wire is the power out wire since I was getting power at the fuse panel on either side of the fuse... but that's where it stopped. I wasn't getting power at anything after the fuse panel. Hopefully I'm done hating my Jeep now. It's an electrical nightmare. My coolant bottle is being shipped to me and I'm picking up an 8.25 to replace my dieing D35 soon. That should take care of the other things for now......

Back