NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 21st, 2019, 18:35
NAXJA Forum User

Transfer case failure?

I have a 95 XJ with AW4 auto and NP231 transfer case with Novak slip yoke eliminator. Jeep left me stranded on the highway 30 miles outside of Phoenix. Heard a clunk then no drive. Nothing in 2wd or 4wh. Still rolls in park. Shift linkage replaced and in good working order. I can put in 4wl and it will drive around. No unusual noises at all. Any thoughts?
Old July 22nd, 2019, 03:49
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: Transfer case failure?

Are you shifting the from the shift mechanism lever or from the Range Lever on the transfer case ?

You could suppose that the root cause is the shift mechanism being improperly adjusted, or perhaps the shift fork is broken, or the shift fork tabs are worn out. Failure of 2wd and 4x4 Hi is not a common failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....
Old July 22nd, 2019, 11:23
NAXJA Forum User

I replaced the shift linkage with the stick shift linkage with the aftermarket type that simply uses two rod ends with adjuster. Have never had trouble with shifts once I got it set up. I looked under the Jeep and saw that it was shifting the range lever. I suspect something internal is a problem and plan on removing the transfer case. Just wondering what to expect. Thanks.
Old July 22nd, 2019, 14:54
NAXJA Forum User

Have a 2004 liberty with the np231, did the same thing no 2wd/4hi but works awesome in 4lo. Took transfer case apart, the mode fork( one towards transmission side) was broke.