NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Midwest Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Midwest Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 221 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2014, 11:17
NAXJA Forum Addict

Re: Important

Anybody ever had any good luck with a solar panel battery charger? Looking for one to put on the pop up camper for when we are camping without being hooked up to a power source. Was gonna mount a 12 volt battery on the tongue and put like a 500 watt inverter on it so that we could run a little lamp or something at night. Anybody got any recommendations on solar battery chargers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMSET View Post
never a time where a good boob does not fix things
Old August 8th, 2014, 11:20
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCC_99XJ View Post
They just changed the law in NC recently to allow us to carry into an establishment that serves alcohol ONLY if they serve food too.

Before it was not allowed into any establishment that served alcohol. Period.
we had a really stupid law that said you couldn't carry in any place that had an on premise liquor license. So ohioccw lobbied to get carry in a restaurants that served alcohol, because even if you weren't drinking tey were considered a bar. Ohio does not have separate liquor licenses for bars/restaurants. Liquor control wasn't about to implement a system for that (hell, liquor control is still using telephone modem banks to do inventory, they are terrible, I'll tell you my tech support story one day), so when we lobbied for restaurant carry it ended up extending to bars too.
Old August 8th, 2014, 11:35
NAXJA Forum User

Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrehautian View Post
It is interesting how you can't buy alcohol from a store on Sunday, but yet you go to a bar that serves food and you can buy alcohol there (not sure if only to consumed in there or carry out).

In tn the restaurant cant serve you until noon. However the hot promo in tn is to run half price bottles of wine on sunday. The price isnt much different from the store and if you drink the min amount on premise you can take the rest home
Old August 8th, 2014, 11:45
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy91 View Post
Anybody ever had any good luck with a solar panel battery charger? Looking for one to put on the pop up camper for when we are camping without being hooked up to a power source. Was gonna mount a 12 volt battery on the tongue and put like a 500 watt inverter on it so that we could run a little lamp or something at night. Anybody got any recommendations on solar battery chargers.

inverter will cut your efficiency drastically. Run LEDs straight from the battery. They'd probably last a weekend without a solar panel, but a 15w solar panel would power them indefinitely.
Old August 8th, 2014, 11:56
NAXJA Forum Addict

So you saying to find a little led lamp to use instead of like a 60 watt regular light bulb. Just run it directly off the battery then?

Quote:
Old August 8th, 2014, 12:01
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlowGetStuck View Post
It has to be consumed there. On-premises and off-premises sales are treated differently and you need different licenses for each. So even if a restaurant/bar had an off-premises license, they would be subject to the law preventing off-premises sales on Sunday. The brewery exemption is the only way I can get beer to my house on a Sunday without driving to Illinois.

The on-premises vs. off-premises difference also explains why a bartender will open a bottle or can before handing it to you. It's not just to be nice or to earn a tip, it's so you don't pull a "can I get 13 beers, please?" and walk out with them.
I didn't know what the rules exactly are, I don't drink but I knew I had seen people drinking in bars on Sunday.

Injecting humor into threads when I can
Old August 8th, 2014, 12:15
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Re: Important

Quote:
So you saying to find a little led lamp to use instead of like a 60 watt regular light bulb. Just run it directly off the battery then?
Yes. You want efficiency and low amp draw, inverters = neither of those.

Small solar panels don't put out a whole lot of power, so you have to keep that in mind. You want your nightly draw of charging phones, running lights, etc to be less than or equal to what your panel can recharge during the day.

That's my understanding at least.
Old August 8th, 2014, 12:21
NAXJA #1499

Quote:
Are you talking about outside lights or inside lights?

I just did the whole RV in leds, I can help if I know what your intention is. You want a marine/rv deep cycle battery with as many amp/hours as you can afford. The led bulbs I put in my overhead lights pull 1.7 watts, versus 57 watts for the little 12v bulbs they replaced. I just bought a battery box from amazon designed for jon boats with trolling motors, it has cig plugs and usb ports on it as well as 12v terminals. Useful if you're sitting outside and you want to plug something in. I'm putting it on the trailer for my winch.

Most of your led stuff is designed to run on 12v anyway, so cut out the inverter and run them off of a distribution box and some switches. Be careful how big of a solar panel you purchase, you might need a charge controller. If you change the trailer plug from a 4 pin to a 7 pin on the jeep and the camper, you can run a constant 12v wire from the jeep to the battery to keep it charged while you're driving to the campground and you won't have to try and keep it charged with a solar panel while you're out there.
Old August 8th, 2014, 12:22
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
yes.

converting DC to AC is going to be, at best, about 80% efficient. The rest get's lost as heat.
an incandescent bulb is also far less efficient.

do you want it for around the camp lighting?
get you a string of those rock lights and set them up around the camper for area lighting. They're like 5w per light, so if you setup 6 of them at the corners and sides you'd be pulling 30W.
So figure out how long you want them to run. if you have a 15w panel it will take two hours of charging to put back what you use in an hour of lights. 30w panel is 1:1 and so on.

I also have a plethora of 12V converter chargers here, so if you want a charger so you can plug in at an electric site and ru nall your 12V things without care, I got one for you.

Last edited by 87manche; August 8th, 2014 at 12:25.
Old August 8th, 2014, 12:32
NAXJA Forum User

Im not an expert, so correct me if Im wrong.

Say you have an SRM24 and These:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Manche
They're like 5w per light, so if you setup 6 of them at the corners and sides you'd be pulling 30W.
Edit: After reading manches post, I fail at electrical math. Disregard.
Old August 8th, 2014, 12:55
NAXJA Forum Addict

I'm not really worried about outside lights. We have a camp fire and lantern for that. I'm just looking for some light for inside the pop up camper for at night time. I do have some small led light pods leftover from when we did the rock lights on the Jeep. Guess I could use them on the ceiling for light. Just need to figure out how many watts each light draws. Wouldn't think it's much.

Quote:
Old August 8th, 2014, 13:06
Past MWC President

Quote:
Talk to macgyvr before you purchase.
member #285

My build thread: Out of Misery II
Old August 8th, 2014, 13:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by *89Laredo* View Post
Edit: After reading manches post, I fail at electrical math. Disregard.
W=VA is all you need to know.
30W @ 12V is 2.5A
so if you know amps, that chart is good. A group 27 battery would provide you 25 hours
Quote:
ceiling for light. Just need to figure out how many watts each light draws. Wouldn't think it's much.
most of the SMT LEDs are between 3 and 5W.
anything that's a 5050 style is going to be in that range. 5W is about the max you can go without a heatsink or PWM controller to keep them from melting.
Old August 8th, 2014, 13:09
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
W=VA is all you need to know.
30W @ 12V is 2.5A
I know that part. I failed at the math for recharging.
Old August 8th, 2014, 13:14
NAXJA Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore Wheeler View Post
Talk to macgyvr before you purchase.
I forgot he won one in the raffle. Will have to talk to him about it.

Quote: