NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old April 22nd, 2019, 23:24
ShoeterMcgav's Avatar
ShoeterMcgav ShoeterMcgav is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Colorado
Posts: 249
Re: Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asymptonic View Post
This has become a flamewar of course, but fwiw, some of us want to work hard to maintain XJs at their peak performance. I'm one of them. For 20 years I've put the work in to have a Jeep that works better than "it's supposed to do that, it's a 20 year old Jeep". Seems like the OP is in my ballpark. Now, he may not understand the AW4 as well as the crusty veterans (I am the original owner of my 98 AX15 so I don't know what an AX4 is supposed to do), but instead of expecting him to suck it up and deal with what he knows isn't right for his Jeep, can we stop for a sec and see what he can do to fix this?

He wants to sell it and has had numerous shop visits (Telling him everything is good- only none have popped the diff cover), oh and a new (free?) tranny. He also doesn't want inisght on what it could be or how to fix it. Op refuses to have the diff cover dropped and look into the carrier/ back lash in the rear diff, or spend the 32 bucks for motor mounts- so ya... If he wants to flame those who try to help, suck it up buttercup!

I did the test. Shared results. Shared what could be causing his excessive clunk. We have only seen a video him prying on the u joint, and of 4low shifts and he brushed off all input (possible pinion/carrier play and or back lash migh be off) *although all jeeps lurch into D in 4low.... And hasnt shared it in 2 wheel (where the concern lies). Multiple users have had great inisght on what to look into, OP wants his problem to be a unicorn problem and/or more then the jeep is worth to fix.

Fwiw my clunk into D from N has been cured with new motor mounts. Go figure.
__________________
98xj lift 35s mid arms locked 9"/hp30 locked w warn hubs wj brakes hi steer etc work in progress..
93zj BEAST 35s Claytons LAs 44/hp30 lockers bumpers headers etc $old

Last edited by ShoeterMcgav; April 22nd, 2019 at 23:32.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old April 23rd, 2019, 04:02
soyjer soyjer is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: California
Posts: 145
Re: Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeterMcgav View Post
He wants to sell it and has had numerous shop visits (Telling him everything is good- only none have popped the diff cover), oh and a new (free?) tranny. He also doesn't want inisght on what it could be or how to fix it. Op refuses to have the diff cover dropped and look into the carrier/ back lash in the rear diff, or spend the 32 bucks for motor mounts- so ya... If he wants to flame those who try to help, suck it up buttercup!

I did the test. Shared results. Shared what could be causing his excessive clunk. We have only seen a video him prying on the u joint, and of 4low shifts and he brushed off all input (possible pinion/carrier play and or back lash migh be off) *although all jeeps lurch into D in 4low.... And hasnt shared it in 2 wheel (where the concern lies). Multiple users have had great inisght on what to look into, OP wants his problem to be a unicorn problem and/or more then the jeep is worth to fix.

Fwiw my clunk into D from N has been cured with new motor mounts. Go figure.
On April 20th, 2019, 08:56, I provided a link to my 2H video (along with 4L). If you didn't watch it, that's not my fault.
Numerous other falsehoods/assumptions in your statement.
Thanks for the new info that new motor mounts solved your problem...that IS helpful to me. However, with labor costs, it's probably more like $232 than $32.
You were the only person who was willing to actually answer my question...thanks again for that.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old April 23rd, 2019, 05:36
asymptonic asymptonic is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 241
Re: Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeterMcgav View Post
He wants to sell it and has had numerous shop visits (Telling him everything is good- only none have popped the diff cover), oh and a new (free?) tranny. He also doesn't want inisght on what it could be or how to fix it. Op refuses to have the diff cover dropped and look into the carrier/ back lash in the rear diff, or spend the 32 bucks for motor mounts- so ya... If he wants to flame those who try to help, suck it up buttercup!

NM then, I stand corrected.
__________________
1998 4.0 I6, AX15, NP231
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old April 23rd, 2019, 06:21
devildog0's Avatar
devildog0 devildog0 is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hunt County Texas
Posts: 738
Re: Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asymptonic View Post
This has become a flamewar of course, but fwiw, some of us want to work hard to maintain XJs at their peak performance. I'm one of them. For 20 years I've put the work in to have a Jeep that works better than "it's supposed to do that, it's a 20 year old Jeep". Seems like the OP is in my ballpark. Now, he may not understand the AW4 as well as the crusty veterans (I am the original owner of my 98 AX15 so I don't know what an AX4 is supposed to do), but instead of expecting him to suck it up and deal with what he knows isn't right for his Jeep, can we stop for a sec and see what he can do to fix this?
People on multiple Jeep forums have been trying to help him and all it turns into is a discussion that goes in circles.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
__________________
1995 XJ Country/4.0L/AW4/231/UpCountry Suspension
2004 Suzuki DL650 VStrom/1978 Suzuki GS1000E/2003 Yamaha TW200
1982 Suzuki GS850G (barnfind project)
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old April 23rd, 2019, 06:59
Anak's Avatar
Anak Anak is offline
Stranger
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: In a strange land
Posts: 3,275
Re: Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

I am starting to think we are being trolled.
__________________
Project "Scope Creep": 1996 4wd 4.0L, AX15
....

Baby it's cold outside.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old April 23rd, 2019, 08:10
Heavyopp Heavyopp is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Middlesex, NJ
Posts: 807
Re: Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer View Post
Thanks for the new info that new motor mounts solved your problem...that IS helpful to me. However, with labor costs, it's probably more like $232 than $32.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...r+mo unt,5552

Rock auto motor mounts $3.90 plus shipping -- So for $15 and 30 minutes of your time you too can find out if new motor mounts solve your problem

FWIW I did try the test -- Makes no difference how I shift -- It's all the same -- 2000 XJ -- motor and trans mounts have 6000 miles on them -- drivetrain has 231,000 and counting
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old April 23rd, 2019, 08:25
ShoeterMcgav's Avatar
ShoeterMcgav ShoeterMcgav is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Colorado
Posts: 249
Re: Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

I misspoke... My clunk/ lurch is now normal- as opposed to before motor mounts. Definition of normal being subjective I guess
__________________
98xj lift 35s mid arms locked 9"/hp30 locked w warn hubs wj brakes hi steer etc work in progress..
93zj BEAST 35s Claytons LAs 44/hp30 lockers bumpers headers etc $old

Last edited by ShoeterMcgav; April 23rd, 2019 at 11:15.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old April 23rd, 2019, 10:20
Tim_MN's Avatar
Tim_MN Tim_MN is offline
Freakish Hand Strength
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 6,737
Re: Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

Nominated
__________________
.
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old April 23rd, 2019, 11:02
soyjer soyjer is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: California
Posts: 145
Re: Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog0 View Post
People on multiple Jeep forums have been trying to help him and all it turns into is a discussion that goes in circles.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
To all:

If you don't want to address the question asked in a thread, move on to a thread that interests you. Worst case, this thread might have wasted 10 seconds per response (time to do test)...why is that so horrendous that people feel that they have to warn off fellow members from responding?
Or are you just angry that I didn't follow your advice? Or are you just trolls? I don't get it.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old April 23rd, 2019, 11:10
soyjer soyjer is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: California
Posts: 145
Re: Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyopp View Post
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...r+mo unt,5552

Rock auto motor mounts $3.90 plus shipping -- So for $15 and 30 minutes of your time you too can find out if new motor mounts solve your problem

FWIW I did try the test -- Makes no difference how I shift -- It's all the same -- 2000 XJ -- motor and trans mounts have 6000 miles on them -- drivetrain has 231,000 and counting
THANK YOU for doing the test.

As I have already explained to others here, I am not allowed to work on my vehicles where I live, and labor here is ~$95/hour.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old April 23rd, 2019, 15:33
dktool dktool is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Covina
Posts: 543
Re: Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

I did my tests, results;

#1 Re: Jeep with 208k on original trans and original 8.25 rear end that I know has backlash beyond oem service limits;
When shifted from reverse to drive without pausing in neutral = abnormal chunk, as all the backlash in the 2wd drive line is instantly forced to change direction without "unwinding"
This result WAS EXPECTED

When shifted from reverse to drive WITH pausing in neutral = no abnormal chunk, as all the backlash in the 2wd drive line is NOT instantly forced to change direction without "unwinding"
This result too WAS EXPECTED

Test #2 Re: Rope
With my 70lb. Golden retriever attached to one end of a rope via his mouth and myself attached to the other end via my hand I could NOT move him while pushing.
This result was expected.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old April 23rd, 2019, 17:13
trippled trippled is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 2,302
Re: Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktool View Post

Test #2 Re: Rope
With my 70lb. Golden retriever attached to one end of a rope via his mouth and myself attached to the other end via my hand I could NOT move him while pushing.
This result was expected.

Thank you for verifying that for us.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old April 23rd, 2019, 18:36
soyjer soyjer is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: California
Posts: 145
Re: Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktool View Post
I did my tests, results;

#1 Re: Jeep with 208k on original trans and original 8.25 rear end that I know has backlash beyond oem service limits;
When shifted from reverse to drive without pausing in neutral = abnormal chunk, as all the backlash in the 2wd drive line is instantly forced to change direction without "unwinding"
This result WAS EXPECTED

When shifted from reverse to drive WITH pausing in neutral = no abnormal chunk, as all the backlash in the 2wd drive line is NOT instantly forced to change direction without "unwinding"
This result too WAS EXPECTED

Test #2 Re: Rope
With my 70lb. Golden retriever attached to one end of a rope via his mouth and myself attached to the other end via my hand I could NOT move him while pushing.
This result was expected.
Thank you for doing the test. Yours is the first that behaves the opposite of mine.

That's 1 same, 1 opposite, and 1 no difference, so far.

The fact that yours has a loose differential AND behaves the opposite of mine probably eliminates my differential as a suspect, but I'll see if others' results match yours before making that conclusion.

Test #2: If insulting me is the price for test results, it's worth it...I just want to get my XJ fixed, without going broke doing it.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old April 23rd, 2019, 18:59
soyjer soyjer is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: California
Posts: 145
Re: Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

Actually folks, this is getting ridiculous...I don't think that I am going to get any more test results from anyone who has already posted to this thread, so why am I still hanging around here? I asked the moderator if I could block certain members from posting to a thread that I started, but I haven't received a response. I am going to start a new thread asking members to perform the same test, and I assume that I cannot block any of you from posting there, so I guess if you show up over there (to warn other members not to waste their time with me) then I'll just have to keep starting new threads repeatedly until either the moderator sides with me or you regarding my right to ask a "stupid" question and not take veteran members' advice. If I get banned, so be it.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old April 23rd, 2019, 20:59
dktool dktool is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Covina
Posts: 543
Re: Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer View Post
Thank you for doing the test. Yours is the first that behaves the opposite of mine.

That's 1 same, 1 opposite, and 1 no difference, so far.

The fact that yours has a loose differential AND behaves the opposite of mine probably eliminates my differential as a suspect, but I'll see if others' results match yours before making that conclusion.

Test #2: If insulting me is the price for test results, it's worth it...I just want to get my XJ fixed, without going broke doing it.
As an FYI

My motor mounts and trans mount are all oem / napa'ish quality, my u-joints are recently replaced and the slip yoke is packed with synthetic EP grease. Also, my transfer case has never been opened.

Re; Test #2, that was to confirm what Tim thought. If I was insulting you it would be more along the lines of......... sell the jeep, buy a prius and get laid (not necessarily in that order)

Good luck with the clunk
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New map and no results Boneless-Jeeper OEM Tech Discussion 2 September 23rd, 2010 22:21
KOH Results? mikedashg SoCal Chapter 5 March 1st, 2009 17:56
TTC results are in... Willis Non-Tech / Off Topic 7 April 19th, 2004 08:53
The results... seanR Midwest Chapter 37 April 12th, 2004 15:58
results of the 4/3 run bugman1964 Colorado Chapter 10 April 5th, 2004 13:18


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014