• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator transmission line connection oring, o ring, o-ring

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I'm installing a new radiator in my 1992 Jeep XJ 4.0 automatic. This radiator provides cooing for the engine and also for the automatic transmission.

There are two rubber oil lines lines from the automatic transmission to the side of this radiator. These slide and snap onto tubes extending from the radiator.

There are lots of youtube video showing how to disconnect this connection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj0Cs6zM2Ps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPE3ipnCOM8

There is an o-ring within the snap connection. I want to replace this o-ring.
A replacement o-ring must be the correct size and also be constructed of a rubber that is compatible with hot transmission oil.

What size is this o-ring? (part number or size)
What material is this o-ring (example buna-n or other)?
Where can I purchase a replacement o-ring for this connection?

Thanks!
Mike

Here's an update:

I purchased a Dorman 800-750 Transmission Line Connector kit from Amazon. This kit is designed for some other connection. But the o-rings in the kit will fit inside the fitting on the lower transmission line and provide a seal to the tube that extends from the driver side lower end of the radiator.

I used the o-rings and discarded the remaining plastic pieces in the kit. Amazon charged $12 which is a lot for two o-rings, but at least I got them.

I had those plastic clip and oring things on my jeep. Ditched them when I went for an additional tranny fluid cooler. On the existing metal pipes, to attach my hoses, I cut off the ends that accepted the plastic clips, and made a small flare on the end to act as a barb. Then I slipped over my hose and used a high quality solid band hose clamp. No more special orings, and clips to break. I dont want an ATF leak, it can kill the tranny fast, and atf is pretty flammable stuff.

Many autoparts stores carry the repair parts for these silly plastic clips, if you want the stock look.

Golly Id think the XJ jeep was a German made truck seeing how over engineered they made something as simple as a pipe to hose connection!

Next is to rid myself of these special fittings on the fuel system. I want to replace the old hoses. Jeep decided to make a permanent hose to pipe crimp on the near body length run of pipe from the tank to the hoses in the engine bay. That all needs to be cut away. tight access dont make this easy. A regular old hose clamp, even a crimped type would have been better than the massive crimped thing Jeep put on the fuel system. Yet back at the pump they did use standard hose clamps.

Back