• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New and need help

Musdog

NAXJA Forum User
I am apologizing up front for what I assume is a long-winded post seeking advice/help. Last year I was on a quest to get into off-roading as I thought it would be a fun adventure for my family. A friend suggested I look into a Jeep XJ. I did some research and the XJ seemed like a decent decision.

Unfortunately, it was a long road of tears as the first one had cancerous rust that needed some replacing and I am not skilled at welding and the one I ended up with blew the head gasket an hour and a half down the road…more on this later.

After a friend was gracious and fixed it at no labor cost but there are a few things left I need to do to make it a very capable rig. By the way it is a 1997 with a 6” lift, has slip yoke, diff covers, front locker and a winch.

My question is in what order should I try and accomplish each task, that is what is more important to fix first. Below is a list of what I believe should be accomplished in order of importance.

1. Tires…I am going with 33’s and have a tire picked out…saving a long argument here.

2. Shocks. Buddy that fixed my XJ says it needs new shocks, which I would agree based on the roll while taking corners. My plan is Bilstein 5100’s and upper rear shock mount kit from Azzy’s if needed. Additionally, if I am replacing shocks should I replace the coil springs?

3. There is something up with the 4x4 shift linkage as the Tcase was swapped with a 231. It will shift into 4x4 but not with a positive feel. Thinking of Azzy’s or Boost Werks shift linkage.

4. Rear locker. I am thinking of going with a Detroit style locker as I am just beginning the hobby.

5. When the head blew there was no temp change on the dash to notify me anything was happening. The temp read hot only after I turned off the vehicle and waited a few minutes and then turned to the on position to see the gauge in the red. I know cooling systems is a huge debate so here are my ideas as I am worried about it happening again.

a. Mishimoto radiator and heater hose kit (they need replacing) with a water temp sensor adapter with a GlosShift gauge.

b. FlowKooler Hi Flow pump with Hesco high flow thermostat housing and thermostat

c. K Suspension cyclone electric fan system.

d. All the above

6. Steering box brace and track bar brace. Ironman4x4fab or Barnes

7. Mid frame stiffeners

8. Rocksliders

9. Rear bumper with tire carrier

Again, I apologize for the long post but I would like this thing up and running in tip top shape by summer so I can convince my wife this will be a fun thing for the family.

I would say get the engine situation under control before worrying about any of the other things. None of the other things matter if the engine isn't working right.

Given the lag in temperature feedback I would guess you had air in the system. Question becomes why? You need to figure that out.

Mishimoto radiators are very pricey, and they seem prone to clogging. There is a radiator thread around here. It is ridiculously long at this point. Go for the last ten pages or so.

Whatever route you choose for your cooling system, get that in place and run it for a few months. Take the Jeep up in the mountains and make sure you have the cooling issues under control. Then worry about tires and bumpers and such.

Ive been running a cheap aluminum radiator from ebay like 130 bucks when i bought it 4ish years ago.
New stock pump, clutch fan and oem secondary eletric fan.
My jeep will kick the eletric fan on at 210 i think and maintain it but it only needs e fan when moving slow or idling in 100 deg heat.
Normal driving cruising down the freeway or back country roads the e fan is never coming on.

Xjs that over heat usually have more human induced problems than actual real problems. Well time time is hard on cooling systems

Junk from k suspension wont fix clogged radiator, heater core and even clogged up arteries in the block,
I wouldnt touch a ksuspsension fan set up with 50 ft stick.
Theyre headlight harness is about the only worth while product they push and even its cheaply sourced over seas parts like the fan set up.

K suspension does have some cool slider legs and a few diy weld together parts that he cuts out on his cnc plaz. However he bolts together the 6" look at me rigs that dont perform well. Ive not punce seen him out on the trail and i used to run in his group or maybe groupies

Ounce you get it running at temp. Id then work on reducing the lift to 3" with a absolute max of 4. Even going back to stock height with some grippy 30" tires would transform your rig into a off road capable beast with a grizzly rear locker.

I do understand that a lift is cool with 33s so ill allow 3" and 33x12.5s on 8" wheels woth some fender tunning to clear.

This set up would out offroad most a 6" shitty lifted xjs that have a hard time holding theyre lane. You wont look like you just drank a case beer driving the thing. And itl ride pretty freaking good.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

OK, I would agree get the motor and temps fixed first. I have tired some stuff on Hi Flow thermostats and the thermostat housing. Read up a bit on Hi Flow water pumps. I did get both a Hi Flow thermostat and water pump from HESCO. I have not installed either. I will install them on a Stroker motor I have mostly assembled. I did modify the Hesco thermostat housing a bit further. I did modify another thermostat housing with a rotary bur. Basically, I rounded the bottom of the inlet to the thermostat pocket with a radius.
I do try and use a Robershaw 195 F Thermostat. Do not use a Mr. Gasket. Or ant of the cheap ones. Stewart's are for Hi Flow Water Pumps. On my Mini Stroker, I'll be using a Carrol Thermostat. I have a few to spare. Also, what exactly is the temp you are running? Mine runs at 205-210 F. I do have an electric fan setup. I run 2 SPALs. I used the Dirt Bound frame, then 3 10" SPALs from EBay and the Wirring from K-Fab. I'd prefer this:
https://nickintimedesign.com/
I do have two of his. They would no work with my CSF 3 row radiator. They need a bung on the radiator. I do not know how well this setup will work with wheeling though. Also, a MOPAR water pump for the Mini Stroker. Even on my 4.6 stroker, Russ Pottenger recommended a stock water pump.

On frame stiffeners, I like Hooligans, especially for the middle one. I actually have IROs middle frame stiffener on my DD, with a Hooligan rear and Ruff Stuff front. I do have Hooligan front and middle and I think an Aries rear going on my next build.

On the steering and trackbar brace, I do have Ironman's, both. I did install his steering box brace. Its VG. Possibly the best. Also, check out Boostwerks. I do have Bad Dad Fab's, Hidden Winch bumper set up with the steering box brace setup. I like it. I do have Stink Fabs OTK setup with his trackbar brace. If you have RE trackbar, then look into their trackbar brace. It looks good. Other stuff got in the way of having it installed. It will probably go into my next build.

Also, down the road look into the WJ Big Brakes. Also, go with the cross over steering if you do the WJ Big Brakes.

Last edited:
Run about 150 degrees, auto parts store tstat probly not functioning correctly but on tge good side. Running at 205 210 means your system isnt working properly. Well unless you jave a 205 tstat.

I run a an OEM style HD radiator (two core) with factory fans (electric and mechanical) and have the flowcooler pump and hesco thermostat housing with an oem 195 thermostat. I don't have any issues with over heating. I did flush out the whole system about 10 years ago. Including removing the plug from the block.
I was also very patient when refilling it. My driveway is on a steep slope so that helped with getting the air out.
If you are going to replace the springs, I would lower it. 6" inches is a lot for 33s. I run 33s with 4.5" and some fender trimming. The trimming is for up travel.
Detroit worked great for me for 15 years. I replaced it with an ARB last year mostly because I am getting old and grumpy and was tired of having to be careful in corners when it was wet.

Welcome to the crazy!

Thanks for all the advice.

To be clear, the engine has been fixed and is in running shape. My budding flushed the system twice, and it's running great at the moment, around 205-210 mark. I am just worried about it overheating again without me knowing about it. That's why I would like to add the second sensor as a backup. I will do some research about air in the system and likely install a switch for the e-fan. Guess I need to do additional research and check out the radiator thread suggested by Anak.

I agree the 6" lift is a bit much, but there were not a lot of options (price, condition, etc.) in my general area. My concern is lowering it with only YouTube and Forum knowledge. Additionally, I am lacking in tools, which I am sure I will collect over the years, along with the knowledge to tackle such projects. However, maybe it is easier than it looks. Dumb question, but I am sure I will need a new driveshaft as well? and I should probably look at Adams or Toms driveshafts?

Again thanks for all the suggestions...only way to learn is to ask the questions.

Not sure you need a new drive shaft. Kinda depends.

Whats going on with the steering, at 6" lift most rigs can use substantial steering help to drive well.
Wj over the knuckle is what id recommend but it will probly be cheaper easier to get better steering angles and driveability by lowering it a few inches instead.

If lowering it may be as easy as knew springs remove rear lift block and toss on fresh shocks for the lower lift height. Though depending on whats done it might not be that easy.
You wont really know if current driveline will work till you do it.
You cant realy trust what is read on jeep forumns many say they have done something but havent and are giving advice on things they know not of.

This forumn is in my opinion better but we me included sometimes give inaccurate information partly because theres so many variables making it hard to give solid information from miles away over the interweb

Posting up pics of the current steering driveline and lift would help. Pics speak far more than any words i can misspell

Changing out the springs is easy. There are plenty of good videos on Youtube that show how and exactly what tools you will need. The only thing that might put a snag in it is the front leaf spring bolts. If it is rusty it might be a problem to get it out. But do what you want with it, it is your Jeep.
You do need a driveshaft. The axle is much further away from the transfer case now that it is lifted. I use Adams.
Evan03 was correct about the steering.

I bought a fairly expensive aluminum 2 row radiator online and had nothing but problems with overheating rebuilt the entire cooling system and still had issues. Someone on here said try the spectre premium single row radiator which was pretty cheap and now it run cool completely fixed my issues. Read reviews online before just throwing a radiator in it.

It might be 3" springs plus spacers so may be very easy to de lift alittle.

It might already be badass sfr long arm with 6" springs and wj steering.

We can talk circles till we hear more

I bought a fairly expensive aluminum 2 row radiator online and had nothing but problems with overheating rebuilt the entire cooling system and still had issues. Someone on here said try the spectre premium single row radiator which was pretty cheap and now it run cool completely fixed my issues. Read reviews online before just throwing a radiator in it.

Thanks for the advice. If I start running into problems this summer I will look into that radiator.

To be honest, I am not too worried about lowering it right now. First offroad rig so I just want it to get down most trails with some new friends I will meet along the way. Also an opportunity to get out to some cool camping spots.

One part at a time. It would be nice to have 4 link system but maybe I will never get there. Again just wondering what issues I should tackle first.

I belive the engine is good to go that's why I figured shocks and tires were the next move followed by the rear locker.

Keep the suggestions coming I will take each into consideration.

CSF for a quality radiator, detroit locker in the rear is the gold standard, its strong & it just plain works, frame stiffeners always a good idea, i did mid frame only ,affordable offroad for quality made in usa bumpers, skids & armor. the wj knuckle swap is the way to go for better steering & bigger brakes. thats just getting started,

First offroad rig so I just want it to get down most trails with some new friends I will meet along the way. Also an opportunity to get out to some cool camping spots.

I don't know all the specifics of your rig, the terrain you plan to wheel, or the difficulty, but one thing you shouldn't do (Especially being new to the hobby) is wheel by yourself. If it is just dirt roads and a popular area where you will see other people if you break down….probably ok; but don’t go in the middle of nowhere by yourself. Also, even if you are going in a group, be sure to let someone know where you are going and when you plan on returning.

You should also have some sort of recovery point on your jeep (front and rear Ideally) so that you can get pulled out of a sticky situation or help someone else out. There is so much more stuff you should carry at a minimum but I’ll leave that for someone else or another thread.

CSF for a quality radiator, detroit locker in the rear is the gold standard, its strong & it just plain works, frame stiffeners always a good idea, i did mid frame only ,affordable offroad for quality made in usa bumpers, skids & armor. the wj knuckle swap is the way to go for better steering & bigger brakes. thats just getting started,

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about the Detroit Locker. Yes there is lots of things to add on. Wont get it all done this year as my wife would kill me if I spent that much.

I don't know all the specifics of your rig, the terrain you plan to wheel, or the difficulty, but one thing you shouldn't do (Especially being new to the hobby) is wheel by yourself. If it is just dirt roads and a popular area where you will see other people if you break down….probably ok; but don’t go in the middle of nowhere by yourself. Also, even if you are going in a group, be sure to let someone know where you are going and when you plan on returning.

You should also have some sort of recovery point on your jeep (front and rear Ideally) so that you can get pulled out of a sticky situation or help someone else out. There is so much more stuff you should carry at a minimum but I’ll leave that for someone else or another thread.

Don't plan on going any place crazy alone as cellphones dont work in the woods. Recovery gear, tools, spare parts, and such is a different beast and I have a working list.

Back