• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which LSD to choose?

wolf2600

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an 00 XJ Sport, 4L, with a Chrys 8.25, 3.55 ratio, open diff.
I'm trying to choose what LSD would suit me best.

On my last XJ, also a 00 Sport, I went with a factory TractionLok, and while it worked well for a while, when I had the diff fluid changed at JiffyLube (I know, I know.....), I neglected to add any friction modifier fluid.... and it was a couple months before I realized my LSD wasn't working anymore. :nono:

Now I've got a new 00 Sport. Same situation, needing an LSD, driving primarily on the road, but once in a while meeting some mud.... and would like, if possible to avoid a clutch-based LSD like I had before, so whatever fluid gets put into my rear-end :)rolleyes:), the LSD will still work.

For years, I've idolized the TruTrac, but it seems Detroit doesn't make one for the Chrysler 8.25. So my next find was the PowerTrax No-Slip from Richmond. Which can be had for about $400 + install.

What are your thoughts, opinions, etc.??

Purchased the PowerTrax NoSlip in 2001 and installed it into the TracLoc carrier on my 98 XJ Corp 8.25 and it worked very well....
With a few tools and a little mechanical ability you can install the kit yourself...
A couple years later I upgraded to the Detroit NoSpin Locker....
If you have an automatic transmission; both have good street manners as well as good performance off roading... I run synthetic in mine to make sure of good lubrication....

As far as limited slips go, the TruTrac cant be beat. Its a geared limited slip so it doesnt have clutches to wear out.

Back