• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler vs. No Muffler sounds

bigalpha

Cat went bad, blew the guts into the muffler. Now, it rattles like crazy. It drives me crazy.

I was thinking of cutting the pipe between the cat and muffler off to stop the rattling from muffler.

Would this be just as annoying as having the rattling?

What year? OBDII vehicles (1996+) will know if the cat is working. Are you subject to emissions testing? My '92's cat is hollow, but the can is still on the car. I have a Flowmaster on it, and it sounds like a pizza truck. But, I live in upstate PA, and our emission test amounts to a visual inspection, and a gas cap test. There are those who don't condone removing pollution control devices, but I don't drive it much, as I'm in the midst of restoring it. Our other three XJ's are all 'legal', as they are daily drivers. As far as the rattling, that would annoy me to no end. What I've found is that the littli rubber block on the tranny crossmember will go bad, the one where the first hanger on the exhaust system hangs from. It can't be sourced aftermarket, and the dealer wants a king's ransom for it. I'd start there and see if that's your problem.

That sounds like it would be pretty annoying. The no muffler sound isn't the annoying but it is loud, especially going from the stock muffler. I went from a flowmaster 40 series (pretty loud) and its a tad louder with the windows open and a lot louder with the windows closed(muffler vs. no muffler).

Also it doesn't sound that bad but I don't really remember what a stock exhaust sounds like anymore.

I would say get rid of the stock exhaust/cat and buy an aftermarket one.

Chris

Cat went bad, blew the guts into the muffler. Now, it rattles like crazy. It drives me crazy.

I was thinking of cutting the pipe between the cat and muffler off to stop the rattling from muffler.

Would this be just as annoying as having the rattling?

Yes it would be just as annoying. Get a magnaflow high flow cat and a dynomax cat back you should be able to pick that up around 270 bucks or so

I have a DynoMax cat-back on the '96, and it's a nice combo of sound and quiet. Some straight six engines have a sweet sound, like an early sixties Jag XK-E, Aston DB4, or even a Datsun 240Z. Our 4.0s don't have the same melodic sound. My '92 with the Flowmaster sounds like a farm implement when droning along at 1500 -1800 RPM. At Interstate speeds, it quiets down some.

I think it sounds like trash, especially if the pipe is that short. Get some tube and a cheap muffler (dynomax superturbo) and fix it up. I had one cut short for a few days from a similar incident, and the fumes making it into the cab were pretty noxious as well

It's a 95, and there are no emissions testing where I live, luckily.

I'm going to replace it when I get the money, which won't be for a few more months.

Anybody have a sound clip?

it sounds like a damn out board motor!
so annoying and loud
haha but the 3rd gear drop is amazing!
push clutch in, put in 3rd gear going about 40-45, hold clutch down and turn off xj as youre coming up on someone walking down the street, turn the key back over but don't start it and drop the clutch.
sounds like someone shooting a cannon out your jeep and shoots blue flames out.
i would drive all around phoenix and scottsdale and do this is so fun!!!

i have an 89 and i recently cut the pipe off after the cat cause my muffler was just straight up jacked, and it sounded really cool at first, really freakin loud though to the point that it was overkill within a week

Go with a cat-back, unless you love drone

cut everything out, get a O2 sensor simulator, and route that pipe the way it normally comes out. Strait pipe it. Loud but sounds good... Louder with the windows down but you can get use to it...Keep your cat, so when you have to pass emissions, throw it back on the jeep, but leave the muffler off, then once passed, put back on the strait pipe...

Keil

If you are going to run straight pipe, run it out to the back. Don't leave it hanging under the cab! Actually this goes for any muffler, it'll make driving it annoying.

is it bad to have just the pipe up to where the cat would normally be and no cat. my cat cracked inside and was rattleing so i took it off. my dad said it will warp the valves if i drive like this? is it or is he just paranoid?

is it bad to have just the pipe up to where the cat would normally be and no cat. my cat cracked inside and was rattleing so i took it off. my dad said it will warp the valves if i drive like this? is it or is he just paranoid?

do you have a stright pipe replacing the cat convertor and then a muffler and tailpipe or just a straight pipe and no muffler? can you describe your exhaust set up a little better?

yes it can be bad for the valves/head to run an open header(no exhaust after the header/exhaust manifold) style exhaust.

Im with 89 here, with no back pressure it can have an adverse effect on your valve train...plus i have mine whacked off after the cat on my old engine (because i really didnt care about it), and then took the cat off and was basicly open header...imagine a pissed off old school kawi motorcycle with no header inside a 55gallon drum...that will give you an idea of what it will sound like

Not exactly the same, but close to what you're planning....here's my MJ right after I did the 2.5 to 4.0 swap and got it running. New shorty cat with a cheap glasspack/turndown. It doesn't sound as bad as I thought it was going to, running it like this now, but will probably pull the glasspack in favor of a 40 series eventually.

Jeff

yesterday i was driving down the road and my muffler fell off, it was a gibson exhaust.with no muffler, it sounded pretty bad ass in tunnels and underneath over passes. it just made it deeper and more throaty sounding.

Back