• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Worth it to have injectors rebuilt?

Heavyopp

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ 4.0 automatic 2 wheel drive — 136500 miles

I just picked up this Jeep a few weeks ago straightening out some issues

The previous owner had a 160* thermostat in it — the thing never warmed up — I swapped in the proper 195*

I just pulled the intake and exhaust manifolds to change out a cracked exhaust — found the intake manifold, head, and top of valves with heavy carbon deposits — probably from running so cold

My question is — Should I have the injectors cleaned and rebuilt? Is it worth it?

All injectors seem to work just fine but while it’s down I could easily send them out for a refresh

Any suggestions as the where to send them? I’m in NJ and did a search, doesn’t seem to be anyone local

I can't even imagine a place where you could walk up to the counter and drop 6 injectors down to be rebuilt. Diesel injectors yes, but they are usually made of metal with easily serviceable parts.

A bottle of fuel injector cleaner into the next two gas tank fill-ups will clean them. Rebuilding them is not necessary and probably not possible. My 98 has +284,000 miles and the original injectors.

Ok -- didn't realize they that they couldn't be rebuilt -- that answers the question and gives me a direction

The don't physically disassembly them. Refurbishing means they put them in an ultrasonic cleaner with some solvent, check the inlet screen isn't clogged, replace the external o-rings, then flow/pattern testing.

Is there a DIY way to clean the screen?

Youtube is full of videos showing how people clean fuel injectors.
Be careful not to burn the injectors out using too high voltage or leaving them powered up too long.

Youtube is full of videos showing how people clean fuel injectors.
Be careful not to burn the injectors out using too high voltage or leaving them powered up too long.

The more I think about it, I’m just going to leave them alone and run a can of that bk44 or whatever it is cleaner

you can also swap for pt cruser or neon injectors

Been reading a lot about this too — I did swap injectors on my 2000 — I don’t think it did squat — unless someone can prove it’s an actual upgrade, I’m going to stay OEM

I don't think I saw any improvements when I pulled the OEM ones out of my '92 and put in Bosch 703s (neon/PT), but the price was right. Even if the performance/MPG were the same, they have 250K fewer miles than my originals and were a plug-in swap.

https://www.ksuspensionfab.com/store/p8/Remanufactured:_4_Port_Upgraded_Fuel_Injectors_XJ/MJ.html

Best bang for your buck.. The better flow creates better atomization (or some science) better fuel efficiency and likely better throttle response. I havent got em yet... And nit affiliated.. Just found this awesome site searching

I'm running the refurbished Bosch 746 injectors myself. Didn't notice much of a difference, aside from them not weeping gas out the sides like my old rusted out oem injectors. I got them from jhc7399 over on the cherokeeforum.com for $70 shipped. He flow tests them to make sure the match, and can help you figure out which ones you need.

Well cool! I stand corrected it seems... Thanks for the inside scoop guys

I got them from jhc7399 over on the cherokeeforum.com for $70 shipped. He flow tests them to make sure the match, and can help you figure out which ones you need.

I did get in contact with Jeff over at Cherokee forum — says I need the 703 injectors — $125 shipped

I haven’t ordered them

Back