• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling the steering wheel

AngryDog

NAXJA Forum User
How does one go about pulling the steering wheel if you don't have a puller? I went to Monroe and they wanted $35 to pull it off and put the new one on. I that to much?

I've pulled mine a couple of times without a puller. I pulled the nut off and pounded on the back of it with my hands. After a few minutes of pounding the friggin thing flew off and hit me in the nose. Damn near knocked myself out! The next time I left the nut on a couple of threads and saved myself the pain.

I suppose you could fake something with some bar stock and long bolts, but I've never bothered. Steering wheel pullers are pretty cheap, and about the second time you use it you'll be glad you have it.

Otherwise, you can take a piece of bar stock about 6" long, drill and tap the centre hole (this will pull the wheel off - a bolt presses against the spindle) and drill two clearance holes for the bolts to grab the wheel (I think they're fine thread, but I don't remember which fine thread offhand - should be either 1/4"-28 or 5/16"-24...)

I wouldn't use anything thinner than 1/2" to fake up a puller - but it's easier to just go get a kit...

5-90

But seriously, like 5-90 said. A puller is cheap and you will be glad you spent the cash. Less time to do the work and less stress trying to monkey with it.

I've tried the pounding the steering wheel off method. I wouldnt recommend it. I ended up pounding with a 1/2" drive socket wrench and knocked the hazard flasher assembly out somehow. Simple Answer: Buy a Puller, they're fairly cheap.

I put a Grant woodgrain wheel on my XJ and just used a wheel puller from Advance Discount Auto - I think I paid about $12 for it, and it worked great.... definately worth it for the hassles it saved me.

Autozone has them in their loaner tool program.

Back