• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Narrow rims vs. bead locks

Lawn Cher'

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the situation... I have the 35" tires on 8" wide aluminum rims with 3.75" BS that I've been building my rig around for several weeks after collecting parts for over a year... I went to put them on the front after getting my long arms and springs in place, and the Warn hub setup doesn't provide long enough studs for the thick aluminum mounting flange of the wheels. So I went to 2 different auto parts stores (NAPA & Advance) to get longer studs (not looking forward to dismantling the warn stuff, mind you) and they were of no help. Without a specific make & model, they couldn't look up studs for me. So rather than deal with those morons and mess with the hubs again, I decided that I'd go back to thinner flanged steel rims, namely the 7" wide 3.75" BS ones from my MJ. So now I have the 7" wide steel rims ready to mount the tires on, and I'm wondering what the better choice would be: should I just slap the 35's on the 7" wide rims as is, or should I get a set of the Rockstomper weld-on bead locks? Keep in mind I'm trying to get this done in time for Moab, so maybe not waiting for the bead locks to be shipped and then welded is a better plan. Wouldn't the narrow rim hold the big tire in place fairly well? I know the beadlock is the ultimate tire retention device and would effectively widen the rim to a more reasonable 8.5-9" for the 12.5" wide tire, but I'd rather not risk the time involved. Any advice is appreciated, and sorry about the long-winded explanation.

I have so much stuff, I'd rather use what I have, especially since I'm moving soon. (Aren't you doing that, too, Dave?) I was still able to put another set of 15x7 chromies w/ 31" AT's back on my MJ after removing what was on it (needed new tires soon, anyway,) if that shows you how much junk I've acquired. It almost becomes a disease!

I'm with the first guy. get some 8'' or 10'' cheapies. maybe from a scrapyard. it may be spending cash, but you don't want 35 s on 7'' rims, besides they will rub terribly on your lower arms, and even if you air down you still are not going to get the full tread width on the ground. a 12.5'' wide tire only bends so far.. but, you wouldn't need beadlocks, or any air pressure.. them tires ain't coming off anyhow.

yeah i'm moving to indiana shortly.. trying to tie up loose ends on my own rig.. still trying to find the time to get my cage in etc etc.. gotta change the distributor on my motor.. has a slow leak.. need to get it ready for the 664 mile trip tugging a utility trailer with assorted junk i can't bear to leave behind.. why got any good stuff? maybe i can throw a net over my trailer :D what bolt pattern are your axles? i may be able to dig up some cheap steelies you can borrow or have... me personally.. i run 15x8s steel .. i dont know if a 15x7 would crown a 12.5 inch wide tire too much.. ::shrug::

on another note.. any idea what size bolt that is? coarse or fine thread? maybe before you go thru all these rim woes go talk to a machinist or i can hook you up with my guy.. just let me know..

Well, I've previously run 32x11.5 on 15x8 black steelies that I've promised to a friend when I get mine done... those tires regularly came off the bead which explains my paranoia on the subject. I think I'll mount up one tire and see what it looks like rather than jumping on a decision for all four first.

I've got machinists here at work (I'm a mechanical engineer) but I don't feel like taking all that shi- apart again. I need 1/2-20 RH studs with a thread length of about 2"... now you've got me thinking again about what would be easier since I haven't dismounted the 35's yet!

The parts stores 'round here; NAPA, etc have bins with studs and such in them. Just pick out what you need. Try another parts supply.

Yeah, I gotta agree with Vug, keep digging into the parts stores, I found longer studs at Pep Boys before. Keep looking, and don't depend on the clerk behind the counter having a clue as to what your talking about.

A.

Ok, I'll do that. I guess the saying holds true, "If you want it done right, you gotta do it yerself." Besides, the aluminum rims have much more Bling factor than the steelies I was going to use.

If you find some studs that work let me know, I had the exact same problem. I just broke down and bought some steel wheels.

Brent

I ordered a box at the small independent auto parts store near me, where they are willing to show you catalogs and actually be helpful. I'll get a part number when I pick them up today.

I installed the new studs, but the extra length I needed was unfortunately not threaded at the end, so it did me no good. So, now I'm back to searching... it looks like Summit sells 3" long studs that might work.

I checked with the local speed shop, they were helpful. The studs that Summit sells don't have a long enough shoulder to press through the rotor into the warn flange, and the only stud that we could find in their catalogs was a ARP model for an early ford that was $75 per pack of 5! Shocking, but true, due to the special manufacturing required for this particular stud. So, now I'm back to square one. I'm gonna run the tires on the 7" wide steel rims just for the Moab trip since they will work on the short studs and hold a bead really well. Then when we get settled in St. Louis, I'll weld on the bead locks and have wider rims as a result. Not the best solution, but with limited time, it seems like the most viable.

Back