• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing steering wheel

MJ3000

NAXJA Forum User
How do you remove the steering wheel on a 92' XJ? I want to go from the molded rubbery wheel to the leather one but can't seem to figure out to the get the wheel off.

Thanks

Does yours have an airbag? ( I forgot when they started using them....)

I forgot the exact proceedure, but if you do it wrong, the bag will deploy and ruin your day.

Either use the search feature here, or better yet, buy a manual.

Regardless, you will need a steering wheel puller. Most auto parts stores will have loaners, or you can buy them for around 15-20 bux and become the envy of your neighborhood.....

Pull off the horn button
Remove center nut holding the wheel on.
You probably will need a steering wheel puller to pull the wheel off the splines. If you pull by hand watch you don't smack yourself in the face with the wheel when it comes loose.

Get a steering wheel puller. It will make life alot easier. The above instructions are pretty much correct.

With the puller, you should be able to swap the wheel (shouldn't take more than 15 minutes) & return the puller to the parts store in under an hour.

A 92 doesn't have an airbag (started in 95.)

Disconnect the battery, or at least disconnect the horn. It's pretty easy to connect the contacts in the horn switch assembly while you're doing this.

okay. if you dont have a steering wheel puller. back the nut all the way out so that the nut and end of the stud are dead even. and get a hammer(perferably a heavy dead blow) and give it a smack dead center on the bolt. steering wheel should pop right off

Back