• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Convoy from the East

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
I have a reservation at the Quality Inn in Colby, KS on October 6th. I am planning to drive from there to Moab on October 7th.

Just in case anyone wants to join in. I think there will be a few folks from the MWC who are planning to stay in Colby that same evening.

mac '5 weeks from tonight!' gyvr

What time are you leaving that morning?

With our departure time on friday and driving through the night till Saturday evening for a rest night we still will not make it to your location.

But depending on when we leave that morning compared to you we might be in the area or atleast close.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sometime early from Fort Wayne, IN. I haven't pinned down a time yet.

I will be I69 South to Indy, then I70 for miles and miles and miles...

It's 14 hours/1000 miles to Colby for me, so likely try to get on the road by 5am EST at the latest I hope.

Be good to have an idea of who is where so if anyone needs anything...

mac 'miles of I70' gyvr

Sometime early from Fort Wayne, IN. I haven't pinned down a time yet.

I will be I69 South to Indy, then I70 for miles and miles and miles...

It's 14 hours/1000 miles to Colby for me, so likely try to get on the road by 5am EST at the latest I hope.

Be good to have an idea of who is where so if anyone needs anything...

mac 'miles of I70' gyvr
Right on..
We are looking to leave around 9pm Friday night from where NY, NJ and PA meet as I'm 10 mins from the borders.
Figure we will drive till about 4PM the next day giving us about 18 hours of drive time putting us around topeaka KS at 70mph average.

If we happen to get father I'll make sure to hit you up and try to convoy with you and any others.

After Topeka looking like we got about another 13 hrs.
Hope to get in to moab before or around 6pm, obvisouly soon the better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sounds good, I'll shoot you my cell number too.

We are looking to be in Moab by 6pm local time on Sunday as well...hopefully.

mac 'likely see ya along the way' gyvr

Traveling from farther East...My time table/route is different.Being retired I can travel at my own pace.Plan to leave on the 4th,get to Evansville Ind.on first day(I64).Then to Salanis{sp}KS on day 2{I70}
On to somewhere beyond Denver (I70),from there to Grand Junction.From there to Moab on Monday.
I tend to do only about 600 miles a day, lots of stops to see the sights and pit stops.:D

We have reservations at the following:

Holiday Inn Express - Mt. Vernon IL - Check in 10/5 Check Out 10/6
Holiday Inn Express - Colby KS - Check in 10/6 Check Out 10/7

Right now, staying at those same places on the way back. 10/14 and 10/15 respectively. It's a 3 day, 2000 mile trip each way from NC. The return trip may have to get adjusted depending on what happens with the house purchase i'm in the middle of.

Meeting up with a couple of the other MWC peeps in Colby on the way out, so it sounds like there might be a good little convoy from there into Moab.

Edit: I'll have the baofeng in the truck with me to chat.

uncc 'staying for free on points' 99xj

Last edited:
Traveling from farther East...My time table/route is different.Being retired I can travel at my own pace.Plan to leave on the 4th,get to Evansville Ind.on first day(I64).Then to Salanis{sp}KS on day 2{I70}
On to somewhere beyond Denver (I70),from there to Grand Junction.From there to Moab on Monday.
I tend to do only about 600 miles a day, lots of stops to see the sights and pit stops.:D

We're leaving early Sat morning, but I'm planning on iron butting it each day as long as the wife can stand. Expecting to get there mid Monday if all goes well. For us, it's PA turnpike to I70, pretty much a banzai run from there. I imagine we may cross paths with some folks along the way.
Rich

I see alot of I70 runners, how about I80? Im gonna be running from Des Moines Ia on I80 through Nebraska and I76 to Denver. Then I70 after Denver... Anyone else??

I have two friends coming from Dayton, OH who will be running I-80 to SLC to help me pack the XJ and then head to Moab. They will probably be running I-80 on Friday and Saturday. Then, a day to recuperate and then head to Moab. We'll probably do the Mazes area of Canyonlands before hitting Moab. At least, they opened highway 6 today after being closed for weeks for wild fires. It is the shortest route to Moab from SLC.

Leaving two weeks from today!!!

mac ‘almost here’ gyvr

I see alot of I70 runners, how about I80? Im gonna be running from Des Moines Ia on I80 through Nebraska and I76 to Denver. Then I70 after Denver... Anyone else??
we are taking i80 leaving Friday afternoon driving about 6 hours then grabbing a hotel. picking up early and continuing on to Denver. we plan to spend a couple days in Denver checking it out and then heading into Moab Monday

My plan is to leave Saturday from Des Moines and making my way to Denver.. Thats if my jeep is ready.. Got a ton to do to it yet so we shall see.. Maybe we could meet up along the way.. I will now more as the week progresses..

Think our plan is to leave around 4 or 5 in morning on Saturday and make it to Colby, KS. Atleast that's the plan.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Everything is on track for us. We'll be totally out of the house by Thursday, and essentially homeless until we get back. The truck, hotels, and house in Moab will be home for the next two weeks.

Back