• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Letting Jeep Sit

BSD

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep (89 4.0 AWU 4WD 125,000) is not my DD and is used primarily in the fall and some in the summer. Hece, it sits for an extended period. For example, I have not started it for about a month. Any major concerns? I know the routine when storing a vehicle. What about month long no-starts? I assume one thing would be to pull the coil wire and let it crank a little to get oil in the top end. Anything else?
BSD

BDS, you'll probably find the battery low. Even with the key off, the ECU and TCU will draw about 14mA. This will slowly drain the battery if not started regularly. I'd disconnect the battery while it's stored.

That's a good idea to let it crank for a few seconds before starting.

ROE

BSD said:
I assume one thing would be to pull the coil wire and let it crank a little to get oil in the top end.

Good idea to pump some oil, but I would pull the fuel pump relay instead of the coil wire. That'll keep it from flooding (and washing down cylinder walls with fuel).

I would trickle charge the battery about once/month. (even if you disconnect it..)
If possable get one of those chargers designed for continuous maintenance charge and
leave it on, that way you don't need to disconnect it. I'd prefer not to disconnect the battery since that will reset your computer..

It is not a good idea to start it up periodically (i.e. just start/idle). Every time you start it you should take it for a drive long enough to warm it up fully.

Oh, I'd shorten up the oil change interval to a severe usage schedule. It wouldn't hurt to just change the oil when you pull it from storage regardless of the milage.

Back