NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 14th, 2020, 15:16
NAXJA Member

Re: Steering Gear Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik View Post
I seem to recall someone in NAC having one of those many years ago (in the 2006 timeframe), but I don't recall how he liked it and a lot could have changed in the intervening years...
Yea! I do remember those comments. Matter of fact, earlier than 2006, many here on experimented with various forms of hydro assist with varying degree of success. In my opinion, many of them did it without prior fore thought. Things have changed now. There are many companies doing or suppling parts to convert any or most vehicles to hydro assist.

I remember the issue was brought up during the time of a former president aka Eagle who lived in Connecticut. I had the pleasure of wheeling with him during several NAC outings. (He was always very gentle on his MJ.)

Thanks for the heads up. However, with most burgeoning companies, there are many growing pains. For my sake, I hope they have overcome that.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old October 14th, 2020, 15:54
NAXJA Forum User

Well, I installed a Lee power steering pump w/reservoir on my '99XJ. I also used a Cherokee transmission cooler mounted infront of the radiators as a power steering cooler. Nothing like a new sealed pump to highlight the how much the gear box is loosing fluid out of the pitman arm fitting. Drips continuously now.

I was wondering if anybody has tried one of these '98/99 Durango reman gear boxes? Rockauto lists one from Lares and one from BBB Industries. As I live in Canada, so return shipping to USA is out of the question for the core. So $283 CAD for the BBB or $206 for the Lares (5 day wait on the Lares). Anyone have any opinions? I need to fix this soon as my daily driver is leaving puddles. I called all the local autopart stores and the cheapest for a Cardone was $500 + core.
Old October 15th, 2020, 13:28
NAXJA Forum User

Alright guys, I'll be the guinea pig. I ordered the Lares reman Durango gear box. It's substantially cheaper than the other options from PSC, Lee, and BBB new.
Old October 17th, 2020, 13:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno1154 View Post
Have anyone here tried Redneck Ram? I had my steering gear repaired and ported for Hydro assist there but am yet to install it. Prices are good compared to others and a very good review.

https://www.westtexasoffroad.com/
I had sent my 89 Dodge W150 steering box and pump to West Texas Offroad year's, year's back. Got the ported upgrade. Ran 38" Swamper SSR's on swapped in Dana60's. Also switched to crossover steering. Truck drove fine on the highway doing 65. Offroad turned the 38's fine. So i never added the hydro assist. I also was still open carrier in the front though.
Old October 17th, 2020, 19:23
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01classicxj View Post
I had sent my 89 Dodge W150 steering box and pump to West Texas Offroad year's, year's back. Got the ported upgrade. Ran 38" Swamper SSR's on swapped in Dana60's. Also switched to crossover steering. Truck drove fine on the highway doing 65. Offroad turned the 38's fine. So i never added the hydro assist. I also was still open carrier in the front though.
That is good to know. My spear time is taken up trying to sort out my front suspension issues.
In addition to having a bad steering gear which they did repair, I also wanted to reduce the load on the unibody exerted by the track bar by using the hydraulic ram.

Question,...Does the ported steering gear send fluid at pressure to both ends of the ram when driving straight? Reason for the question being, the steering stabilizer is not used by others when hydro assist is used.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old October 20th, 2020, 22:17
NAXJA Member

I too am in the market for hydro assist... particularly for on the trail with the front locked.

I don't understand your question tho, Techno... are you asking if it is like pushing fluid from both sides making it under pressure when not turning? When turning each way it will push and pull fluid... like how the power part of power steering works, but with a ram aiding instead of just the fluid going from one end of the box to the other. Thats why where you drill is important when tapping the box.

I'm sure I didn't answer your question here is a helpful (maybe?) video

https://youtu.be/TAA9PhtDn-g

As for the steering stabilizer? I'd say sure it dampens the steering... but definitely no need to run both. I think a ss just masks issues with the steering that can be cleaned up. For instance,after going long arms (adjustable track bars and 1 ton steering) I haven't had a steering stabilizer on either of my jeeps- no death wobble
Old October 21st, 2020, 06:17
NAXJA Member

Thanks for the video. It was very enlightening.
It did answer my question. There is (or so it seem) no fluid pressure is being applied to both sides of the ram if the steering wheel is not being turned and then it is applied to one side only.

I spent the first part of my career maintaining heavy construction equipment so I am familiar with the way they work. I just wanted to re-assure myself. And when a ram is filled with fluid it is extremely difficult to force it to move in or out thus contributing to the steering stabilizer effect and probably a lot firmer than OEM type stabilizer.

I have all the equipment here in the garage about 2 months. Just have not had the time to do the install. I sent in a box to Redneck Ram, had it repaired and ported and bought the entire kit.

Old Yesterday, 15:24
NAXJA Member

Ya I'm leaning that way more and more... I was going to have someone local help me port a box, but his schedule seems to be non existing so I like the idea of sending a box in to redneck, I have 2 stockers