• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VANCO Big Brakes and U Turn steering

I am not so certain. I'm keeping an open mind on this. The Willwoods do have a smaller pad but their ratio of piston area to pad area is smaller than the VANCO or WJ. I think they may have higher clamping force, I just don't know if the pad area provides sufficiently higher friction.

Also, a sliding caliper with pistons on one side will probably need double the piston area of an opposing piston design. It could be that the Willwood's pads run a lot hotter and there is less safety margin in the maximum weight and speed of the vehicle.
In college this would have been the type of question I would have actually enjoyed answering in an applied-mathematics exam. I might have a go later but I will have to do it in SI units (Newtons) and convert the answer.

Wilwood will dis-agree with you on piston size and piston count. They do not count the opposite side pistons in their calculations, the clamping force is considered the same as a floating caliper. They will recommend a larger piston until you are having pedal travel issues.

That's interesting. I can understand clamping force being considered the same between the two caliper types, equal and opposite forces. But surely clamping pressure on the back of the pads will be different (force x area)?

It's going to be better than a stock setup, so will be at the least as safe as that.

Going off topic slightly, anyone had any experience with a Pro-Cut on car brake lathe? I am waiting for my new set of Black Magic pads to arrive and I am intending to have my discs skimmed before fitting them.

That's interesting. I can understand clamping force being considered the same between the two caliper types, equal and opposite forces. But surely clamping pressure on the back of the pads will be different (force x area)?

It's going to be better than a stock setup, so will be at the least as safe as that.

Going off topic slightly, anyone had any experience with a Pro-Cut on car brake lathe? I am waiting for my new set of Black Magic pads to arrive and I am intending to have my discs skimmed before fitting them.

You nailed right there, a floating does prove a "better feel" over a floating caliper with less pedal travel. What gets real interesting is two different size pistons (same side) for even better pad uniform pressure.

Here are some photos to give you an idea of what exactly is going on
46bbac8f8e2a419730b789b15a845e4f.jpg
336cad388127fcb3755689e96fd063d8.jpg
3c78982f6604355e04007a752f70904c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

That is indeed very interesting. I had a similar setup from GoJeep. http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/

I have since replaced the rotors and calipers keeping only the mounting brackets. With only very slight modifications to the brackets, my XJ have been fitted with rotors and calipers from the first generation Jeep WK.

So I'm sure everyone has heard of the 4link calculator right? Well there's also a break calculator made by the same people. You can find it on busted knuckle off-road website.... It's free and simple to use. There's a video explaining it as well. Might get y'all a starting point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So I'm sure everyone has heard of the 4link calculator right? Well there's also a break calculator made by the same people. You can find it on busted knuckle off-road website.... It's free and simple to use. There's a video explaining it as well. Might get y'all a starting point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A link would be good as I searched the entire site and did not find it!

Also love the Vanco BB kit for 16" wheel's. That, plus the Durango MC upgrade made a huge difference in my stopping power on 33's.

Back