NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Jeep Street and Performance
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Street and Performance Do you like to go fast in your Jeep?

Old June 10th, 2006, 07:23
NAXJA Forum User

4.0 gear drive

Does anybody know about a gear drive for the 4.0. I was reading the jeep engines book vol 2 and the listed a part number for the gear drive. However i havent been able to get anymore info on it.
Old June 10th, 2006, 07:34
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 4.0 gear drive

I think clifford made that.
I just went to the website I have bookmarked and it doesn't appear to exit anymore. Does anyone know what happened to clifford performance's website?
Old June 10th, 2006, 07:41
NAXJA Forum User

i found the clifford website but do not see the part listed
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:11
NAXJA Forum User

Nobody makes one anymore, probably because demand was too low to make it worthwhile. Mopar Performance used to make one and might still do it under special order.
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:27
NAXJA Forum User

thanx i'll give them a call
Old June 10th, 2006, 12:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno
Nobody makes one anymore, probably because demand was too low to make it worthwhile. Mopar Performance used to make one and might still do it under special order.
Yeah - and I'm thinking it was something like $600...

I'd like to see one come back - I think it would be compatible with AMC I6 and the 2.46L I4, but I'd have to check to be sure. That's a "blue-sky" goal of mine - improving the AMC I4 & I6 aftermarket options...

5-90
Old June 10th, 2006, 14:17
NAXJA Forum User

The stock timing set is good for up to 6000rpm according to the Jeep Engines book though Hesco claim the chain will snap because of harmonics from the cam (it only has four bearings) if you rev the engine above 5600rpm. Hesco also say that the only cure is to fit a gear drive if you want to rev the engine safely above 5600rpm (the Cloyes dual roller set doesn't help).
Be aware that the gear drive does make a whining noise whereas the timing chain is silent.
Old June 11th, 2006, 17:34
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno
The stock timing set is good for up to 6000rpm according to the Jeep Engines book though Hesco claim the chain will snap because of harmonics from the cam (it only has four bearings) if you rev the engine above 5600rpm. Hesco also say that the only cure is to fit a gear drive if you want to rev the engine safely above 5600rpm (the Cloyes dual roller set doesn't help).
Be aware that the gear drive does make a whining noise whereas the timing chain is silent.
i think the whining noise is kinda cool. when i had my chevy we put a set of those in.....most guys here call them "screamer gears".
Old June 11th, 2006, 19:21
NAXJA Forum User

i had read somewhere that the MP piece was not for street driving as it didn't have the longevity build into it. That seems kinda dumb considering it cost over $600.

Dingo
Old June 11th, 2006, 19:22
NAXJA Forum User

hmmmm, ive been looking for one myself, dyno, your saying the dog bone set up wont help?
Old June 11th, 2006, 22:59
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_vette
i think the whining noise is kinda cool. when i had my chevy we put a set of those in.....most guys here call them "screamer gears".
Spur gears whine - due to the "intermittent" engagment of the gearset. "Silent" gear drives have helical teeth.

Most forward gears in transmissions are cut helically - not only does this make them quieter, it increases gear longevity by allowing the gears to remain constantly "meshed," thereby reducing 'instant' stress on the gear teeth. Reverse gears are usually still spur cut, since you don't usually spend a lot of time in reverse.

5-90
Old June 13th, 2006, 21:03
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90
Spur gears whine - due to the "intermittent" engagment of the gearset. "Silent" gear drives have helical teeth.

Most forward gears in transmissions are cut helically - not only does this make them quieter, it increases gear longevity by allowing the gears to remain constantly "meshed," thereby reducing 'instant' stress on the gear teeth. Reverse gears are usually still spur cut, since you don't usually spend a lot of time in reverse.

5-90
that explains soo much. i'd always wondered why manual cars whine while in reverse. thanks
Old June 14th, 2006, 13:12
NAXJA Member

I believe the chevy m22 was an all straight cut gear trans.
anyone know why less pitch on the gear teeth increaces power handling?
I'd have to say a hand sledge or an angle grinder is the most useful tool though. You can do anything from brutalize your fingers to breaking everything around the thing you're trying to hit/cut with them.
Old June 14th, 2006, 14:26
NAXJA Forum User

By "less pitch," do you mean "less space between tooth centrelines" or "less teeth per unit length?" The two are opposites.

If you mean fewer teeth per unit length (teeth per inch, for instance,) then it increases power handling due to the greater material in each tooth and the greater cross-section of each tooth, which makes the teeth stronger. Granted, there are more variables involved than that (a gear that is thicker will have more lateral distance than a thinner one, and will also therefore handle more torque without shearing off teeth...) but that's the gist of it.

If you're talking the other way - less space between centrelines - then you'll end up with a gear that actually handles LESS power, assuming the same material used as the other "two" (the normal one, and the one with fewer teeth per inch.) Reducing the distance between centrelines actually will increase the number of teeth per unit length, and reduce the material in each tooth.

5-90
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:25
NAXJA Member

Sorry, i used the wrong term, i meant the angle of the helix the gears are cut at.
http://www.5speeds.com/muncie3.htm
I'd have to say a hand sledge or an angle grinder is the most useful tool though. You can do anything from brutalize your fingers to breaking everything around the thing you're trying to hit/cut with them.